Buying Lightroom 3 & Photoshop CS5 Student Editions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jumpmanpro97, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

I just had a general question, I wanted to buy these at best buy or some other electronics store. How do they check if you are enrolled in higher education? Do you just need to bring a student id?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

As far as I know, you have to "claim" your license with Adobe and submit a picture of your student ID or similar proof of being a student.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

At our school, you pay the school the discounted price and they issue you a "student/instructor" key that you use to download the software from Adobe. Adobe then issues a permanent license key for the package.

4. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

does the school check if you are currently enrolled? and do they check if you are enrolled in classes that use the software?

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Can't tell if you're a recent (or not) grad looking to exploit a student discount or just really don't know.

Probably depends on the school. Some might have ID scanners in their bookstores to process your ID which most certainly checks if you're enrolled, but I'd be willing that the majority just go off a visual check of the ID.

If there was a single school that said "You're not in a graphics design class, purchase denied" I would be astounded.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

It's a small school. The program manager knows everyone, and if a non-student tried to take advantage of the offer, the PM would look at them and ask " Who are you ? " and what are you doing in the building. I doubt anyone has ever been asked for student ID in the school. Like I said it's small school.

7. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

Unlike Apple, Adobe does goes a long way to confirm your a student. I bought the student version of the whole CS5 suite (saved like $1500) but Adobe wanted copies of my student ID and bill from school, and one other piece, I think it was my class schedule. After a couple weeks of back and forth between them and I they finally accepted it, although I don't know if they actually called the school or not.

Apple's student policy says if you were a student within the last 6 months you are eligible for the student discount. Adobe may have the same reservation with their student program also. Might check it out though. :rolleyes:

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

All that adobe asked from me was a scan of my student ID and a valid email address from my school that they could verify that I have a active link to the school's IT system (thus meaning I was active and enrolled) and they had my serial number within about 2hours, it was a fantastic process.

9. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

It's always worth exploring all your options. I for example here in Singapore we have this place:
    http://mine.com.sg/

There may well be other joints around the world that hold special EDU discounts.

Cheers