Buying Lion for OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TJC747, Jul 21, 2011.

1. TJC747 macrumors member

Hi. I have the oldest MacBook (white, first model or whatever), and I have leopard with it (not snow leopard). How do I go about buying Lion? Can I get a CD from the Apple Store? When will it be available?

Also, do you guys recommend me even buying Lion? My Macbook will be 4 years old in October. Is it even worth it? Thanks!

2. APtalent macrumors regular

According to Apple,

You must also have Snow Leopard preinstalled prior to upgrading.

via, Apple.

3. TJC747 thread starter macrumors member

So I gotta drop $30 for Snow Leopard and then another $30 on top of that for Lion? This sucks...

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If you have the oldest White MacBook Lion wont run on it.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

If it will be 4 in October, it is not the first or oldest MacBook. The first MacBook had a 1.83 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo and be 5 years old. Requirements for Lion are to have a Intel Core 2 Duo.

Please post the specs of your laptop so we can better asses if your laptop should run Lion.

On the Leopard -> Lion jump, Apple has said that USB drives for installing Lion will be available later in August for $69.99.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

You just said you have the oldest white Macbook, which means you have Core Duo Processor. Lion WILL NOT run on Core Duo. Time to upgrade your machine.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You can do a "CLEAN" install to get Lion instead of purchasing Snow Leopard. You just have to have a friend who purchased Lion make a boot disc for you.

8. TJC747 thread starter macrumors member

My bad you guys are right. This is what shows up under About This Mac:

Processor: 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

So I guess the consensus is I could buy Lion for $70 or just end up buying a new Mac.

9. TJC747 thread starter macrumors member

I'm a noob at some of this stuff - what is a Clean Install? After researching it for a little it appears to make the computer run a lot faster...also, if my friend purchased Lion through the Mac App Store, is there a way he can make a boot disc?

10. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Or you can buy the LionOS on a thumb drive that Apple will be releasing in August. It is a higher price, at 69.99, but you won't need to buy Snow Leopard also.

Apple made the announcement earlier about the thumb drive. I made a thread about it, but for some reason no one read it. Oh well.

11. technologylive macrumors member

technologylive

When you want Lion, you have two options: upgrade or clean install.
    Upgrading means you keep all your files and applications and replace the operating system by Lion.
    Clean install is completely wipe your drive and install Lion on the clean drive.
    Then you will lose your files and data, unless you backuped those.
    Upgrading is only possible when Snow Leopard is installed on your system, so when you have Leopard you will first need to upgrade to SL and then to Lion. (double cost)
    That's why it's recommended to do a clean install, but don't forget do backup your data to an external hard drive!