Buying Logic: Wait till WWDC?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jeffy.dee-lux, May 19, 2009.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just put down a 20$ deposit at my school's computer store for an academic copy of Logic Studio. While I was planning on just walking in and buying it, and being done with the decision, this gave me another week or two to ponder the possibility of Logic 9 coming out shortly after I get Logic 8. I realized that 1 to 2 weeks puts me fairly close to WWDC which starts on June 8th (I had thought it wasn't until July...). Anybody heard anything lately pertaining to the possibility of a Logic update at WWDC?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. You really think Apple will release another new version in less than a year? Logic Pro 8 has already included in Logic Studio and the price has already been reduce. What else you want? :rolleyes: New version of software will always appear, so will updates to hardware, it's all a question of when, and more importantly how long your willing to wait? If you can keep on waiting, chances are the hardware/software isn't so important.

3. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Na, I'd go ahead and get it now. I got mine yesterday and am still trying to figure out how to use it to it's full potential. I also doubt Apple will release another Logic anytime soon.

4. joe.cavers macrumors regular

If it works now, buy it now. New versions of software are never perfect out the box, plus they might remove a feature you want, or change something. Get it now if it does what you want/need.

JC

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

WWDC has nothing to do with Logic's release schedule. WWDC is a developer's conference. It's for people who write software, not consummers. Apple never talks about this kind of stuff at WWDC.

Apple does not release new version of pro apps all that frequently because professionals for the most part prefer a stable platform and don't like to have their work interrupted. So we see updates only about every 18 to 24 months. But who knows?

6. CalumC macrumors regular

ChrisA: What on earth are you talking about. Just because it's billed as a developers conference doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that it isn't used as a launchpad for new hardware and software. 2008, iphone 3g announced, as well as iphone 2.0 software; 2007, leopard announced. I could go on.

Back to logic:

Personally, i believe that there is a logic update in the pipelines, within a year. Pro Tools 8 has just come out, so theres an element of wanting to get some new features out there and some focus back on logic. Having said that, logic 8 is a very strong bit of software and buying it now, even if logic 9 is around in 2-3 months, is not a bad thing. It takes a fair while to learn all that logic has to offer, so you might as well just get started on it asap.

7. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I agree with this. Stability is the number one thing with any DAW. I hate it when an update comes out and it has a feature I really want because it means my system might become a bit cranky!

JC

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

with cubase 5 out i think logic 9 will be out so they can compete

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's some unexpected news for you.. I've just come accorss this thread while browsing another forum for something. Apparently Logic 9 exists but it's all hush hush.

10. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

I agree, all the pro music creation apps have been updated recently, like pro tools is now at 8, ableton live is now 8, a new version of acid has been out for a while now but its out there, cubase 5 like you said, reaper is now up to version 3, i mean there all updating! logic is very advanced but I imagine they will update it soon, before its lagging behind everyone!

11. tweekskratch macrumors member

The reality is it's always a risk. This is what sucks about buying electronics. The main thing is to be happy with what you are buying, even if a new version comes out the day after. If you won't be happy with 8, just wait a day, or a year till 9 comes out. If you need it now get it now. :) it sucks when that happens, but it's just the nature of the beast. I would love to see 9 come out SOON so that I can get it, but it may come down to me getting 8 because I need it. Seems like educational is always the best way to go. It's cheaper just to buy each update as they come out until you are out of school (if you are in school)

For some reason I doubt that they would release 9 just to stay ahead of the version numbers of other apps. Seems stupid to me? I'm sure they are working hard on 9 regardless.

That's my rant. :)

12. Gilfanon macrumors member

Gilfanon

Erm, there seem to be at least 2 reasons for Apple to release a new version of Logic Studio- when Leopard is released (probably to be announced next week), it will come with

1) Grand Central- optimising the use of multiple cores- I imagine (and this is just speculation, someone feel free to correct me) that Logic will need to be optimised to work with GC?
    2) 64 Bit- again, no idea how much of a re-write this would require, but I imagine a 64 bit version would be released separately from the current version?

There's also Open CL coming in Snow Leopard- again, don't know if that requires any re-write, but I'd expect that Apple will at least be looking at the suite- doing a new release to coincide with Snow Leopard would seem to make sense to me- "Look, we're releasing a new version of OSX that really takes advantage of the grunt in your system, and we're releasing new versions of our Pro Apps to maximise that new technology".

13. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that's that. I went and picked it up today. I wouldn't be surprised if we do see something soon after 10.6 comes out, but that is plenty far enough away for me to not feel like I should have waited.

Just about to install it, though I'm still trying to sort out my storage. I've got a 320GB drive in my MBP with about 150GB free, but it'd still be nice to use an external drive for the massive install and I'm guessing the projects themselves can get quite big depending on what you're doing. I do have an external drive, though it's largely full and its only USB. Maybe its worth picking up a firewire external drive?

14. tweekskratch macrumors member

Congrats! I WISH my school sold Apple stuff still. :( Now I have to pay 500 buck for it. Oh well, it's still a good deal. Hope they come out with a new version for 10.6! :) p.s. are you at a University?

15. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, McGill University. They have a decent computer store, and have sold Macs since before the big boom in popularity over the past few years, at least since 2003 when I started but probably farther back than that. Half of the computers on display are macs.

If you're at a school, don't you at least qualify for academic pricing? I know the campus stores offer a better deal, but I think you can still get it for cheaper than 500$.

16. tweekskratch macrumors member

$449.00 for academic pricing through Apple. I think that their site is the only place online that you can get that price? My school used to have apples for sale, but then Apple demanded that they have a "representative" there at all times. So much for that! :) Very few schools around here sell Apple stuff. sucks. You said you got it for 150?! I'm jealous.

17. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. tweekskratch macrumors member

nice! did you get it all installed?

19. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

i installed the App, but haven't gone ahead with any of the content yet though. I think i'd rather install that on an external HD. I've got one but it's kinda small and USB. I'll probably get a 500GB firewire drive.

20. tweekskratch macrumors member

Ya man, all that space for something you may not even use for a while. Do you know how big the content is?

21. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. apple pirate macrumors newbie

I heard a rumor that you could download Logic for free. LOL! at those who paid for it!

23. CalumC macrumors regular

[​IMG]

24. apple pirate macrumors newbie

25. CalumC macrumors regular

You edit almost as fast as me.

To answer your 'question', if you want logic for free, you would be going down illegal channels, which I believe macrumors don't particularly condone (despite having a jailbreak forum). But anyway, the cheapest you can get logic is with the education discount I think. And personally, I'd rather pay for it anyway.