buying Mac Book Pro questions (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gaogier, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Gaogier macrumors regular

Hello

I am a IMac user, I have a windows laptop.

My problem, I have bad hips, knees, and ankles, this means I can not sit at my desk to use my imac as much as I want.

My windows laptop keeps breaking, being fixed... and much more. However, due to my bad legs, and can not sitting at my desk for more than 10 mins, I am looking to get a Mac book Pro.

My problem, I have 1/3 of the cash needed for the macbook pro, I am more than willing to wait to get the new macbook, however my legs can't.

I don't want to borrow money of my parents, however I would like to have the macbook asap.

What are my best options?

What has happened to my legs... about 8 years ago, I ripped all ligaments and tendons in both ankles. Over time, my body walked different, however with medical personals doing things to me, I walked "normally" for about 2 weeks, which has resulted in my hips being dislocated, which has now got a trapped nerve which when sitting down, I am in real pain.

In 6-8 weeks, I will have the full amount.

Please give all advise.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sell the iMac. Apple has financing options, but I wouldn't really recommend them as the interest rates are ridiculous, but they are an option, especially if you know that you will have the money.

3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

The Imac is going to be the "main PC" it has over £7,000 worth of software installed on it, which I need for work. Not getting rid of Imac.

I was thinking about financing the macbook. I could go for the smaller 13" models, but are they worth it? I like bigger screens...

What are the options, I have £600 now, I will have £600 by the end of this month, then I will have £600 by the end of December.

I am planning on starting a business from home... could or should I get a small business loan? or go with the worst and ask my parents?

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Interest free loan from parents if they are willing if you can't wait to find it up front. I went with the 15 because like you I prefer a bigger screen. But that bumps up the price. Have you considered a Mac Mini with wireless keyboard and a monitor of some sort? That would allow you a greater ergonomic ranges than the laptop...as you don't have to adjust yourself to all the elements at once like you do with a laptop. You could use a lapdesk for the keyboard and mouse and be able to put yourself in all sorts of positions and not have to change your viewing angle like with a laptop. Mac Mini combo would be cheaper too spec wise if you went with a decent mid range display.

If you can stand not having it all in one portable the above set up could offer you a lot of comfort over the MBP.

I don't know much about iMacs but couldnt you use the same idea with it? Use an external monitor in a more comfortable place like in front of a chair or sofa with a wireless keyboard/mouse on a lapdesk? Or do you need portability more than you need the ergos?

5. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I have wireless keyboard and wireless click (logitech) for my imac, but again, I mainly need to lay down on my bed to get the best out of my legs. If i didn't have leg problems, then I wouldn't want a macbook pro.

I hate windows, love OSX but use windows due to legs.

I have looked into getting OSX on a normal laptop, but it looks impossible.

You really are paying for the hardware on the macbooks.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Then is it possible to connect an external display in some place you can view it comfortably from bed and use the wireless kb/mouse on a lapdesk or flat board of some kind? Would be a lot cheaper than a new MBP since all it seems you would need is the display. This would allow you to not have to change/sync machines etc too since you would always be working off the imac.

7. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I see your point, but my Imac is about 3 ft away from me.

I lay down with my laptop on my chest, its the only way to use it, and being comfortable. Again, I will be fine and not look for the new MBP as soon as i get my laptop back. It is just till then, I am going to be in a lot of pain.

I have a 50" TV which the Imac has been hocked up to, but its not great viewing.

However, I think its best to wait where I will have all the money together, its only 6-8 weeks, not long really, it will go fast.

Do you recommend getting the protection plan? I would need to get this when I get the MBP right?

8. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I am waiting to see..I have a new MBP so it still has a year warranty. You can buy the plan anytime before the year coverage expires. I might sell it and don't want to lose the extra cost. Also check your countries laws...some EU countries require certain warranty times regardless of what the manufacturer says...often 2 or 3 years.

In the mean time I would try to arrange some temporary setup like I mentioned. Move some things around so you can see from the bed...shame the 50" isn't good as that at the end of the bed would be perfect.

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I also noticed your business idea...I don't know your nations laws but sometimes computers can be tax deducted as business expenses. Look into that.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

At the cheapest end of things, you could have a look into a moveable desk. If you prefer lying on your front on your bed then a low desk that you can have at the end of the bed with the iMac could work or if you prefer sitting up on your bed then a moveable desk that reaches over your bed might work. Similar to the kind of things they have smaller versions of in hospital. IKEA do several desks, some of which might be wide enough to go over your bed. They also do desk legs with adjustable heights that can go quite high up and wheels to go on the legs.

11. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

Its at the end of the bed... I have a xbox 360 (only good thing from MS) which I play halo games. Which is great.

It is not great for the Imac. lol

I am currently using the Imac now, and my hips are ok, but knees are not... its an endless battle for me... I am told its a problem for life.

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

So what would be your ideal set up to deal with all this? iMac at the desk and MBP for the bed?

13. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

Imac downstairs as a family PC, being number 1 PC, controls, external HHD, airport extreme, printer, scanner linked to TV, so I can watch movies on the TV. Family can design birthday cards, books, (ilife09).

MBP for normal day to day use. I use my laptop about 16 hours per day.