Buying Mac in Asia, pick-up countries?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cindori, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I am currently in Seoul, South Korea and looking to purchase the new Macbook Pro this week.

I'm trying to figure out how and where to order online and getting it shipped either to Korea or picked up somewhere in Asia.

Can I order online and get it shipped to an Apple Store somewhere, even though I am in another country?

I want ANSI keyboard so that rules out China and Japan.

2. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

I'd advise that a trip to Australia is your best bet.

3. Kimcha macrumors regular

Hong Kong, keyboard is standard English one.

No sales tax and prices are the same as the US (slightly lower actually).

4. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

However it should be noted that the standard problem with humidity exists for Airport Apple Stores in the tropics, so don't bother trying to get it duty free in HK, SG or AU.
    Unless of course, you don't mind getting Apple Care and frequently using it.

5. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

Very interesting.
    I noticed that the Hong Kong website do not offer the "Pickup" button when proceeding to checkout. How can one order from abroad for pickup within HK?

6. Kimcha macrumors regular

Not sure if they have that option. You should give them a call and see.

Alternatively you could use borderlinx to get a shopping address and then forward it to you. But that may require import tax, depending on where you live.

You don't need to buy at the airport. In Hong Kong everywhere is duty free. They have no sales tag at all.

I don't know what humidity problem you are referring to, but doubt it is present if you buy from an Apple Store.

7. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

The humidity problem with Apple Stores, or indeed any electronics store, plagues purchases of computers, iPods, iPads, iPhones pretty much everywhere from Taiwan to Sydney Airport.
    These tend to have a larger percentage than normal require Servicing due to the humidity exceeding recommended limits for extended periods (ranging from weeks to months beyond reasonable.)

I used to work for a previous Apple Dealer, The Smart Store, in Wellington and we found this to be a major problem with service jobs for Macbook Pros purchased at Sydney Airport Apple Store and various other stores from the tropics such as Thailand and Singapore requiring more servicing than normal.
    Our Authorised Apple Repair centre contacts confirmed they had noticed this trend also.