Buying .Mac (MobileMe)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Jun 30, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

My current subscription ends in about a month. Amazon is selling .Mac for about $30- less than Apple. If I buy it from Amazon now will I be covered for the new MobileMe? And, how do you go about renewing? I'm guessing there is a license number you type in and you're good to go. Thanks!

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

To renew, you just pay the bill Apple sends you.

If you cancel your subscription and buy from Amazon you will loose all the info you have up now, and possibly your name. You might even loose the ability to keep the @mac.com address leaving you with only the @me.com address.

3. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

yea?? Im pretty sure if he used the code from where-ever he buys it from, he should be fine..on renewing his current plan.

4. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

My point is....it's about $30- less from Amazon. If I buy it now my question is...can I apply the Amazon provided license number towards my .Mac account prior to the expiration of my service expiring?

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

You can buy it from Amazon and enter the code in the box to renew your account. You do not need to pay Apple full retail price to renew. All current .mac accounts will be automatically converted to mobile.me accounts.

I always buy my renewal from eBay/Amazon/J&R Music world - where ever I get the best price.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It would work in theory, but you aren't buying a new code when you update, you're just updating.

No you can't as far as I know. Apple just asks you to update and pay the $100.

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Absolutely YES. I just did that to mine last week. :D

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Okay nevermind :D

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

When my .Mac family account came due, I bought it for $129 from Amazon, instead of the $180+ Apple wanted to charge. Entered the code and I am set for another year. Easy-peasy.

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Well as of today, .mac is 78.49 and "Usually ships in 1-2 months" :eek:

Snooze and loose I guess.

11. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

Where do you enter the code upon renewing? I only see the place to renew with Apple by supplying credit card information...as opposed to entering a license code.

12. jplan2008 macrumors regular

As of now the address is www.mac.com/activate

13. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I just ordered .Mac from Amazon. As mentioned above I already have an account, it expires in about 30 days. Hopefully I'll get my update from Amazon by the end of this week and I'll apply the license number to the link shown in the quote. It saved me about $25- as opposed to buying it from Apple.