Buying Mac off my FIL for wife...Setting it up for her?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by USMCKoontz, Aug 6, 2014.

1. USMCKoontz macrumors newbie

My FIL is selling me his Macbook pro... I am wondering, he has his info and profile setup on it. Is there a way to delete it and set up a new profile or something for my wife? Somehow clean it to where it is basically fresh for her?

Thanks

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

restart the computer while holding down the option key. choose the recovery partition, and reinstall os x

3. USMCKoontz, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

USMCKoontz thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need to clear the HD at all? Or just do the reinstall OSX???

Seems easy enough to do, if all I have to do is go to recovery then just reinstall OSX option.. thanks ;)

4. USMCKoontz thread starter macrumors newbie

Also its a Mid 2013 Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display. Also comes with a external dvd drive.... He is asking how much I would pay him for it.. Any ideas on a good price to offer? I dont want to lowball him, but havent found much help online.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

The MacBook is for his daughter? If so, he may accept the family rate.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would search ebay for "completed listings" of similar models. You will see high prices that failed to sell and it should be pretty easy to find models like yours and what people actually paid for them.

As for deleting the profile, simply reinstalling OSX from the recovery partition might not be enough. See this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201065

7. USMCKoontz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats what I was thinking...Will check out the link you provided, although would rather have a video instruction for it to make it easier for myself.