Buying Mac Pro: How to tell which chip by box?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rredrabbit, May 16, 2008.

1. rredrabbit macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm buying a Mac Pro from a girl who had a G5 that kept having issues and supposedly Apple replaced it with a new Mac Pro a few weeks ago. Has anyone ever heard of Apple doing that? So if she had it replaced within the month would it be the latest "Montevino" chip or could it be an older refurbed chip? It's a the box and has never been opened. Can I find out by reading it somewhere on the box? Here's the specs:

One 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeo
    2GB (2x1GB)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
    One 16x SuperDrive
    APPLE MIGHTY MOUSE
    WIRED KYBRD/MAC OS X
    Country Kit

It's obviously not the 8 core and she believes the lowest version of the current Mac Pro's but she's not sure. I think I'm getting a deal on it. What would you pay? Thank you for any help.

2. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

it is always on the box of a mbp, how else to dfferentate between the different models?
    As I read it in your story, you don't thrust it, so be carefull. You would be the first to have some extremely expensive bricks left after the deal.

3. rredrabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction on Chip "Harpertown"

I meant do you think its the Harpertown processor and if so will it be labeled as such on the box. Thanks

4. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The old Mac Pro wasn't available as a 2.8 Quad, so it must be a 2008 model.

6. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

well, a mac pro is not my cup of tea, but they are nice indeed! If you can get a good deal and have the money? JUMP ON IT :p

7. rredrabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

If the old Mac Pro's weren't 2.8's then I'm golden! Would you pay $2000 for one unopened? It's not an 8 core though.....its the below standard model where you can subtract $500 for that option.

Am I correct in thinking I can upgrade the graphics card to the NVidia GForce 8800??

Thanks for your help!

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

You could buy that from Apple for $2300, so you're getting a nice $300 off!

The 8800GT upgrade is $279, and can be found here.

9. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Go for it, that is an excellent price. Yes you can upgrade to the 8800, but since you wont be able to do a build-to-order if she already received the unit, it will cost a fair amount more. My brother just had his 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro replaced due to several hardware failures, they gave him the newest 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro and even asked if he'd like to make any upgrades before he received it. Either way, this is a steal. :)

10. rredrabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

So she said she would give me the receipt and only had it for two weeks....do you think there's a possibility of being able to return it and upgrade it?