Buying Mac Pro With Developer Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mackpro, Feb 1, 2008.

1. mackpro macrumors member

mackpro

Hey there,
    I was about to order my developer connection startup kit (the black box) and I was wondering if I have to wait for the black box to come before I can order a machine. I've heard apple just gives you an invoice number and you can order a new machine right there on the spot. Hopefully I can order a Mac Pro tonight.

Thanks for your help
    Derek

2. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

Once you are confirmed and have the purchase as an "asset" you should be able to place the order.

I personally joined the Student ADC back in November so I'd be ready to go once the Pro was refreshed.

3. mackpro thread starter macrumors member

mackpro

I'm a bit confused, are you saying I have to wait for the box, or not.

4. conancn macrumors member

The box is not the issue here. Activate you membership is critical before placing you order.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, you do not need to wait for the box. You need to wait for your membership to be activated, at which point you'll have a purchase asset which you can use. it takes a small but finite amount of time after you order, but should be less than a day or so.

6. PipeDream macrumors newbie

How long after you faxed them your information did you get activated? If they see that i don't have a software developing class on my current schedule, will they not approve my status? or is it just to confirm of my enrolment?

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It takes just a day or two, you won't need a development class.

8. conancn macrumors member

Mine took an hour

9. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

Does the $500 membership include access to developer seeds of OS X?

10. FastMan macrumors member

You have to activate your account yourself. They send you a link in an Email by which to do it. I didn't realize I had to activate my account when I enrolled, and wondered why my assets hadn't appeared after a couple days. Called Apple and they walked me through the activation process,,, and shazam,,, my assets immediately appeared.

2.8 with 8800 card ships Feb. 22nd ;)

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I believe so.

12. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

Forgive my ignorance, but it really is as simple as paying $500? I read the agreement and it states that the system must be used in development. But doesn't specify if it just Apple development. I would be using it as my work Java development machine. Would that count? Does Apple check these things?

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Java development is development. They don't check.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, including OS X Server. It does not include any apps.

15. mackpro thread starter macrumors member

mackpro

the only question I have left is how do I get the email with the activation code. I just bought the $99 student membership thing and will the email just come or do I have to do something??

16. FastMan macrumors member

Just checked my old mail. Mine was automatically sent to me 6 hours after I submitted my order.

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you send some kind of proof of student status? I faxed mine.

18. mackpro thread starter macrumors member

mackpro

well i'm not sure if i'm supposed to wait for an activation email to send the fax. we'll see i guess. any ideas?

19. mackpro thread starter macrumors member

mackpro

So---
    I Ordered the Mac Pro with the Developer discount but I havent recieved an email confirming the order and havent faxed anything to ADC. Is this a problem or do you think my order is a "go"

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Your order won't go through. You must fax or some other method send proof. I didn't wait for confirmation.

21. Banacek macrumors 6502

Call (800) 633-2152 and tell them you need to verify your student status. They will even let you email them the proof instead of faxing it in. Once they approve you then your order will go though.

22. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

I'm a MBA major that already has a MS in Information Technology and Management. They approved my student status the same day they got my documents via fax.

My early 2008 Mac Pro was ordered the day they were released. The order was released for fulfillment later that day.

23. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Just slightly off topic...

I have many friends who are students. I know that I could go down to the bookstore with my friend and have them sign all the papers and I could buy a Mac with the edu discount. Is there a way for me to do the same kind of thing with an ADC student membership?

In other words, could my friend sign me up as the ADC student and then I'd buy a machine? Or would my friend need to sign up for ADC and buy the machine themselves?

Is there a more appropriate place to post this question?

24. MikeL macrumors 6502

Fraud is such a wonderful thing. If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to do it, should you really do it?

Where's the white-collar crime forum?

25. mackpro thread starter macrumors member

mackpro

i loled irl at this