Buying Macbook 17-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BobNL, Jun 5, 2015.

1. BobNL macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have a Windows laptop, and although it has been working fine for my since 2012 I have been using OS X on my hackintosh the last couple of months, and have started to really enjoy using OS X.

Since I use my laptop mostly at school, I have always been a fan of the bigger screen sizes. My current laptop is a 17.3'' Sony laptop. I classmate of mine has a last generation before retina MBP 15''. I really love it, but the screen is just two small for me. I want the bigger screen.

I'm planning to buy a second hand 17" MBP since Apple does not make them anymore, getting the complete checkout version, upgrading the RAM to 8GB, and installing a Samsung 850 PRO SSD.

My question is, from time to time I hear that certain models of Macbook Pro's have some (grapich) problems, is that also true for the last gen pre retina models?

Thank you,

Bob

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. BobNL thread starter macrumors newbie

It makes no difference if I get a early 2011 model? I really want SATA 6GB/s to take full advantage of my SSD.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

All 2011 (early and late) 15" and 17" models have the Radeongate issue. The ones from 2010 also have NVIDIAgate.

5. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I did have to get my 2011 serviced for that issue but it was free of charge.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd stay away from the 2011 model as stated, its not a question if it will fail but when.