Buying MacBook advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbanda, Apr 11, 2010.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I have a MacBook which my wife loves. I would like to buy her a new one but we are not in a position to spend that kind of money and more than likely i need to get an Imac for the family. My questions are the following

1. Is there a previous generation to the MacBook(2008) I should consider buying used? How much should I expect to spend? My wife's needs are usually net surfing and simple word processing.
    2. Are refurbished notebooks from Apple covered for a year and can I buy Apple care?

Thanks in advance.

2. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Apple Care

Apple direct refurbs have a 1 year warranty and you can buy apple care.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals
    About the MacBook any intel MB will do what you require and do it well. I would buy a refurb before used, about price i would guess $600 and up for used. Power Max has been around a long time and they sell used macs.
    http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs?gclid=CM-bhLungKECFQ2lagodLxNHug

The only thing I would add is that today a G4 iBook would only cost about $300 and do the things you mentioned quite well if you are really going for cost.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Microcenter is selling the current MacBook for $799.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

If you are getting an iMac for the family, what about an iPad to go with the iMac for your wife to use? Perhaps a refurb iMac or used iMac + iPad.

The iPad won't be the best for the word processing part if the amount of typing is significant, but the iMac could do for that. (I don't know your specific needs though- just something to consider.)

I know if my wife and I were to buy again we could do with having a laptop and an iPad. It is rare that we are both doing a considerable amount of typing these days at the same time.

Refurbs get same applecare and yes, you can buy apple care- Apple treats refurbs the exact same except for price!:D I got a great refurb iMac 7 years ago and it is still running strong.

Good luck.

5. andrew8404 macrumors regular

I agree go to Microcenter and get one for 799. No rebates needed and they are extremely friendly. Just purchased mine last week from there.

6. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Microcenter VS Apple on-line

From what I can tell from Microcenters Web Site refurbs are only available for in store pickup, not direct ship.

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

8. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

New

$799 is a really good price for new but if you look at their site they are in-store only.