Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
I have a MacBook which my wife loves. I would like to buy her a new one but we are not in a position to spend that kind of money and more than likely i need to get an Imac for the family. My questions are the following

1. Is there a previous generation to the MacBook(2008) I should consider buying used? How much should I expect to spend? My wife's needs are usually net surfing and simple word processing.
2. Are refurbished notebooks from Apple covered for a year and can I buy Apple care?

Thanks in advance.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Apple Care

Apple direct refurbs have a 1 year warranty and you can buy apple care.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals
About the MacBook any intel MB will do what you require and do it well. I would buy a refurb before used, about price i would guess $600 and up for used. Power Max has been around a long time and they sell used macs.
http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs?gclid=CM-bhLungKECFQ2lagodLxNHug

The only thing I would add is that today a G4 iBook would only cost about $300 and do the things you mentioned quite well if you are really going for cost.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I have a MacBook which my wife loves. I would like to buy her a new one but we are not in a position to spend that kind of money and more than likely i need to get an Imac for the family. My questions are the following

1. Is there a previous generation to the MacBook(2008) I should consider buying used? How much should I expect to spend? My wife's needs are usually net surfing and simple word processing.
2. Are refurbished notebooks from Apple covered for a year and can I buy Apple care?

Thanks in advance.

If you are getting an iMac for the family, what about an iPad to go with the iMac for your wife to use? Perhaps a refurb iMac or used iMac + iPad.

The iPad won't be the best for the word processing part if the amount of typing is significant, but the iMac could do for that. (I don't know your specific needs though- just something to consider.)

I know if my wife and I were to buy again we could do with having a laptop and an iPad. It is rare that we are both doing a considerable amount of typing these days at the same time.

Refurbs get same applecare and yes, you can buy apple care- Apple treats refurbs the exact same except for price!:D I got a great refurb iMac 7 years ago and it is still running strong.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.