Buying MacBook Air - How do I know I'm getting latest/greatest

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Internaut, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Here's a bit of a conundrum..... I noticed last week that my American Express (UK) reward points buy less this year than they did last year. Accordingly, one of the the things I can spend them on is PC World vouchers in the UK. Now, I have enough points for approximately £600 worth of these and this would represent a very healthy discount on a new MacBook Air!

The only issue I have is this: If I go into one of my local Apple store, I know automatically that I'm getting the latest/greatest revision of the product because that is all they sell. I suspect that shopping at PC World, I have no such guarantee. What should I be looking for? Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Also..... I know if I buy from my local Apple store, customisation is easy. If I want extra memory for example, do other (none Apple) retailers such as PC World support this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're getting the latest and greatest in the supply channel regardless of where you buy it. You have little say to know whether it was built a week or a month ago.

3. abz1981 macrumors 65816

check the specs and see if it matches with what is currently on apple's website. if thats the case, then you do not have to worry.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Look at the bottom of the box. There is a sticker on the bottom of the specs. If you see it says I5 or I7 you know it is this years :)

5. Xikum macrumors 6502

Ask for the specs of the machine.

If it is a Core 2 Duo Processor, it is at least a year old (perhaps more).
    If it is an i5/i7 processor, it is the latest revision.

Do NOT buy a Core 2 Duo Processor MacBook Air from places like PC World. They are older, and yet places like PC World still sell them for full price. If you buy one from PC World/etc, make sure you are buying a MacBook Air with an i5/i7 chip in it.

6. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

these are the easiest way to identify the newest macbook air...

-i5,i7 processors
    -backlit keyboard
    -thunderbolt

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

If you are allowed to inspect the laptop, look under "about this mac". It will tell you the refresh date. So if it says _____ 2010, you know it is the previous model. Newest MBA model would say something like Mid 2011.

8. molala macrumors 6502a

You don't have to open the box, the information (i5 or i7 processor, backlit keyboard) is on the white sticker behind the box.

About the RAM, that would be on the box as well. You can either get 2GB or 4GB, so just make sure you get 4GB.

Agree with the above poster that says be careful of PC World and other Apple resellers as they are still selling last year's models along with the latest ones.

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

back lit keyboard is the smack in the chops that you are looking for. its blaringly obvious so you shouldn't go wrong

10. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone

For the quick response and comprehensive answers.