Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Hi everyone, (first post! Woohoo)

I might be buying a MacBook Air that comes per installed with numbers, Final Cut Pro and some adobe stuff. If the sale does goes through would I be able to put that software on my iMac or would it be for ever stuck on the MacBook Air?

Thank for your time!:)

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you get the install media with the purchase, you have the legal rights and the opportunity to do as you want.
But also know, that applications purchased via the Mac App Store (MAS) are not transferable, thus if you have FCP X installed on that machine, you will not be able to update or reinstall it on any of your Macs.

And if you do not get the install media for the installed applications, you can just pirate those applications yourself.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Licence agreement

Thanks for your reply. The Final Cut Pro licence agreement states the following:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

I read that as: as long has the original owner bought it and has not transferred the licence to another, he could transfer the licence over to me? Do you read it that way?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your reply. The Final Cut Pro licence agreement states the following:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

I read that as: as long has the original owner bought it and has not transferred the licence to another, he could transfer the licence over to me? Do you read it that way?

Thanks

It depends on the version of FCP X, FCP 7 and below could be transferred, FCP X cannot. The same goes for Numbers from the MAS.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
To be very clear about this -- if you get the media you have the license, if you don't get the media you don't.

This applies for all Apple software not originally shipped with the machine, and certainly all Adobe software.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Also, I would advise against letting any included software affect the price you are willing to pay.

In my opinion, when doing a private sale, here's the value I derive from "extras" (this is just my opinion)

Software/Music/Movies - $0 - Software most always doesn't include legal transfer and Music & movies are likely copied. I'm going to format & reinstall anyway.

Cases/ Bags/ Sleeves - $0 - I know they cost a good bit, but most people's visual tastes don't line up with my own. I'm going to have to buy a different one anyway.

Adapters - $0-5 - I already own the display adapters, Don't need FW, and the Ethernet is cheap enough. I might pay a few bucks more

Superdrive - $0 - Yes, it has some value, but since I wouldn't buy one anyway, it doesn't have value to me.

Extra A/C Adapter - $30-40 - This is the only extra I'd consider paying more for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.