Buying Macbook Aluminum on Craigslist for a Comp NEWB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hazedragon45, Nov 13, 2009.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

I pretty much know the basics of PCs, and I want to switch over to a Macbook but don't want to pay too much to get a new one. If I'm buying on craigslist and don't know much about Macs, would I easily get screwed? What exactly do you guys look for when buying used?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

First things first make sure that you meet up with the seller in a populated place and physically see it working.

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Well I put a MBP add on craigslist yesterday and basically every response I got was from a scammer wanting to pay more for the listed price or have me ship to a different address or some other reason. I would say like the previous poster is meet in person at a public place...take friend....avoid carrying lots of cash....or just go to ebay and buy from a reputable seller. Or contact me I'll sell you mine. I'm trust worthy :D

Craigslist is swimming with scammers of one kind or another. I don't know if I really want to deal selling/buying high priced items there.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

and be sure to ask for the system disks, and I would also ask for proof of ownership to make sure it's not stolen. If you go, be sure to test it thoroughly; run diagnostics, see if everything is there, public place.

Be sure to get definite ID on the seller and a bill of sale to protect yourself in case of stolen merch.

5. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

What MBP are you selling?

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I like to meet them in a dark alley around midnight with cash in my hand. I don't need to check the box, I trust them and it is pretty heavy, so I know there has to be a mbp in there :D

Meet at a Starbucks or Bookstore or the mall. Make sure the original system restore disks are there, original charger, check for nicks and scratches(if you're an anal person), start it up, try several programs, bring along some dvd's and cd's, test playback of audio cd's, try to install a program from a dvd. Test out the internet access.

I.E. test it out, just like you would a used car. Bring a friend too, it helps to have a 2nd impartial opinion :eek:

8. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

NEVER WesternUnion money anywhere.

Public place, 2nd person, and take it for a test drive. If they guy is in a hurry then pass. Someone on the up and up will understand that you want to make sure it works

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. mac2sell.net and the apple refurb store to see if the price is fair.
    2. meet face to face in a public place with wi-fi. no exceptions to this, period. check to see if running, and check apple support site to see if it has, or qualifies for, extended applecare.
    3. bring a bill of sale, to include a space for the serial number of the machine. if the mb has extended (3yr) applecare, bring the applecare transfer document with you as well.
    4. ask for a copy of original reciept with credit card info blacked out
    5. find a copy of the apple hardware for that machine on a disc and bring it with you, or borrow a copy of tech tool pro from a friend who bought applecare
    6. don't give any extra money for extra software that doesn't come with the installation discs. the machine may have a licensed activated copy of software from a multi licensed license, but there's nothing stopping original seller installing it on another machine and deactivating yours.
    7. go on the forums to look up what kind of screen macbook has. if it's a 9c89, walk away. or, bring a copy of a black and white movie on dvd to see if it's got a sh^##y screen or not.

Good luck.

10. nctalkinghead macrumors member