Buying macbook, credit card doubles warranty, can i still get apple care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bestthereis27, Nov 28, 2007.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hi
    I was thinking about biting the bullet and ordering a macbook online. My credit card doubles the manufactures warranty. So that should give me 2 years warranty. My question is can i still get applecare after the end of the second year for an additional 2 years? For a grand total of 4 years of warranty?

Anyone try this?
    Thanks.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Nope. Applecare starts the day you purchase your Apple computer, regardless of when you purchase the apple care (up to 364 days after you purchase your mac). Apple care doesn't acknowledge anyone else's' warranties, either. Your 2nd year of support would be through Visa/MC, not Apple.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you purchase Applecare before the end of the FIRST year using the same credit card, then it should extend Applecare's warranty by 1 more year, whose support would be through Visa/MC/AmEx/etc. Total coverage 4 years. This is of course provided whatever card you have allows extension of the extended warranty, not just the standard manufacturer's warranty (AmEx is one).

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Chances are that the warranty offered by the CC company is not through an Apple authorized service. I would not even think if using that. Just get Apple Care. Since you are looking at a portable this will be a worth while investment.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

AmEx told me that when you buy an extended warranty such as Applecare, the AmEx supplied warranty period is added after the end of the extended warranty coverage.......so in this case, the first 3 years would be Apples' standard warranty plus the Applecare extension, and then the 4th year would be AmEx matching Apple's standard warranty for a year

6. polycat33 macrumors 6502

What does it mean, they match it? If your computer breaks, who fixes it? Thats probably what you want to think about.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

During the 2nd year after the standard manufacturer's warranty expires (or during the 4th year after Applecare expires if you purchase it), AmEx will either pay for its repair (you take it to the Apple store, get an estimate, charge it to your credit card, and then AmEx will reimbursh you) or refund you the full purchase price plus tax up to $10,000.