Buying MacBook direct from Apple or reseller?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dman24, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Dman24 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    This is my first post on MacRumors and I am one of the many people who have used Windows their entire lives and are starting to see the light. My transition began like many people I am sure, with the iPod.

Anyway, my four year old Toshiba Satellite notebook is shot. The charging port is very loose and I've been told that the motherboard is a few hundred to replace. I have been looking into MacBooks and MacBook Pros for a few months and decided that for what I need the MacBook is the way to go (internet, word documents, iTunes, some creative photo stuff).

After visiting the Apple store several times recently I had great help in learning about programs and differences from Windows that were great. My main question now is: is there any benefit to purchasing the MacBook directly from an Apple store? I have checked MacMall and found several benefits including $100 rebate, free Parallels and free printer. At Apple store locations they offer the education discount which is $100 off the MacBook and around $75 off the AppleCare? Are there any other service issues that I would only be able to handle only by purchasing it direct from Apple?

Thanks for your help all. Hopefully I will be joining the happy Apple owners in the next few days!! :D

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Your MacBook will come with a 1 year Apple warranty regardless of where you purchase it and you will have the availability to extend your warranty via Applecare anytime within the first year. You can even buy Applecare from a third party vendor as well.

There is no advantage buying from an Apple Store or Apple Store Online. -GDF

3. mojitochica macrumors member

Going through Apple you pay tax. If you go through a reseller like Amazon, which also has rebates, you mostly likely won't pay tax.

Macmall doesn't accept returns, so you would have to go through Apple if you have problems with your machine.

I guess the only pro with buying at an Apple store is that you would have the machine right away instead of waiting for shipping. Good luck whatever you decide :)