Buying MacBook for Wife

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alksion, Jul 30, 2016.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Hello MacRumors,

My wife has a late 2011 i5 2.3Ghz 13" Pro. I upgraded the HDD to an 850 EVO (Non-Pro, Trim Enabled) and 8GB RAM. The battery is taking a crap and starting to expand, plus the system feels slow. Additionally, she somehow keeps turning on fire vault, which makes it even slower.

My plan is get a new, third party battery (highly rated) on amazon and then sell it. Basically sell hers, my iPad Air ATT 16GB and her 1st generation 16GB iPad mini. None are being used right now. We would then use those funds, plus a little extra to buy a new MacBook.

I was thinking about the rMB, but after reading reviews, I have decided against it. I know we are looking at a possible October release for the new MacBook Pros and this thread is not really about whether I should wait or not as that is up to me.

My question is that I am seeing a base 13 rMBP Refurb on Apple's site for $1099.00. Also, I see an early 2014 13 rMBP going for $680 on CL in great condition locally.

I have a late 2013 fully loaded 27 iMac, so power and storage aren't really an issue. We just need something to use on the go. Do you think these prices sound fair or do you believe they are inflated for how old the chipset is inside the units?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Now that's a first..

Maybe remove her admin privileges? ;)

It would be easiest to advice you, if you inform us as to what she's going to use it for. The only requirement you've mentioned is "we need something on the go", and there the MB is the prime candidate.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

On my iMac she is a standard user but on her MacBook Pro she would throw a hissy fit lol.

Nothing really. She uses my iMac all the time as of recently. I know the rMB is perfect for on the go, but the KB reviews have me a bit skeptical. I suppose I could just walk into an Apple Store and try the KB myself.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you search the forums, you'll come to realize that the majority here that actually owns the machine, like/love the keyboard (Including myself).

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. What is the difference in terms of speed between the 2015 and 16 chips? I see some refurbs, but not sure if the price really matches the update difference.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2016 ---
    Originally released April 2015

12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch
    8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    480p FaceTime Camera
    Intel HD Graphics 5300
    $929

• 1.1GHz Dual-Core Intel Core m3, Turbo Boost up to 2.2GHz
    • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
    • Intel HD Graphics 515
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • $1299

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 2016 1.1 Ghz and 1.2 Ghz are more or less equivalent to the 2015 1.2 Ghz and 1.3 Ghz models, respectively. So it is modest. Then you've gained a better graphic card and better battery, and that's it.

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Not to change the subject, but FV shouldn't be making the machine appreciably slower, especially since you've put an SSD in it. FV should be enabled on any portable machine.

8. kohlson macrumors 6502a

In many respects, this is an excellent time to buy a laptop mac. Right before the introduction of new models, discounts are usually more available. If your wife is not a power user, then buying "older" technology may not be a problem. FWIW, my one of my daughters uses a 2011 MBA with 4GB, and runs El Cap. For her light usage she has no complaints. We did have to replace the battery (1000+ cycles). I mention this because it's not a reach to think that an MBA purchased today may go 5+ years.

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks all. I think I will go with the refurb MacBook