Buying Macbook from Apple store - built to order?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stagmeister, May 20, 2008.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

Is it possible to buy a macbook built-to-order from the apple store? (a real-life one, not the online one). I am interested in getting the bigger HD (250GB) but don't want to spend the kind of money it will take to get up to the black version, and I also want to get the remote & DVI-VGA adaptor. Is it possible to get these kinds of upgrades at the apple store, or do you have to buy online for that?

Thanks
    Jason

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I know that they will sell you the remote and the adapter at the Apple Store with your purchase of the computer but as far as the HD is concerned I don't really know. I do know that if you have them upgrade the RAM in the store you essentially pay twice for it. You pay for the RAM that comes with the computer and then you pay full price for the upgrade module not the upgrade price at the online store. I would suggest calling the Apple store and see if they do it and how much it would cost. You may come out better just buying the black one. Hope this helps.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

They will not upgrade your hard drive in store. but you can buy one and do it yourself which is really cheap and easy to do.

4. jjohnson87 macrumors newbie

Paying for the ram twice is not true....if you buy the ram and have the store upgrade it right away they will buy back the machines stock ram so you will only be paying the price for the new ram....they can only do this if you buy the ram directly with the machine

5. DJAznSensation macrumors regular

DJAznSensation

I wanted to do the same as you and they dont upgrade hard drive in-store...

they can order it in-store but it will ship to your house if you want, but that defeats the purpose if going to the store and walking out w/ nothing

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation