Buying Macbook from Best Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jshelton, May 19, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I am selling my white 2.4 and purchasing the 2.0 unibody. I happen to have a Best Buy card and I noticed they currently offer '18 months no interest'. Not a bad deal as long as you pay it off before then.

I was going to wait until WWDC to see if they update anything. I am worried now that I will wait and then they will discontinue the 'no interest' offer. There always seems to be some type of conundrum with these Apple purchases.

Anyone familiar with Best Buy and the type of offers they have? Is that generally the best one and if so, how long do they keep them around?

Thanks peeps

2. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I picked up my MacBook Air from Best Buy last October. They had the 18-month interest-free deal back then. It's a sweet deal (as long as you pay it off before the 18 months), so I signed on. As far as I know, it's an ongoing credit deal with them. It doesn't seem to be on again, off again.

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Nothing wrong with BB. I bought our iMac 20" there. Didn't have access to a local Apple store, and didn't want to wait :D

They'll push their extended warranty, but I'd suggest against it. Go with Applecare from another location [eBay, Amazon, etc.].

However, since then I've only bought refurbs via Apple direct. Good systems, cheaper, and they're field tested. They're essentially brand new. But if you have a BB card, and locked in with them, that's cool too. They're fine...

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Just don't get talked into anything the "geek squad" can do to opt the computer for you, what a sham...

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I bought a MBP back in November and a MB in March. Both of them were bought with the 0%. It is something they always have. It is a good buy as long as you pay it off in time and make your payments on time. Otherwise the finance charges are pretty steep.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've heard some good things about their extended warranty with accidental damage protection as well...

7. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

If, and I mean IF, Apple does refresh the Macbook at WWDC, how long before Best Buy gets the updated versions? Anyone had this experience. I really want to go ahead and get the unibody, but I would be very angry with myself if there was a speed bump, HDD increase, etc.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

It's always varied. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks. Just depends on how much new inventory Apple has (because it stocks its supply chain before it stocks its resellers).

9. patrick92260 macrumors member

Normally I would never get a Mac at Best Buy, however 2 days ago I found an open box 2008 17 inch MacBook Pro for $770 which I jumped on. Unless you want a brand new current Mac check their open box section you may get lucky like I just did...