Resolved Buying MacBook from Canada to US

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlimes13, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dlimes13, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Okay so I bought a MacBook Pro from a seller on eBay and they are from Canada and it's being shipped to the US where I am at. I've never bought anything more than a few dollars from outside the US, so I don't know about any potential customs fees or anything. They valued the package at $1,000 CAD and shipped via Xpresspost USA (which I think will go to the Post Office). Does anyone have any experience or know if I will get charged fees?

2. BigYellow macrumors member

A quick look on Google brought up these:

"Essentially, under the North American Free Trade Agreement, any product that shows "Made in USA" on it can be imported to Canada without paying duty as long as it is for personal use (not for resale). But if the item has labels elsewhere on it that say "Made in China" or another country, it may only be partially exempt or have no exemption."

"There is no duty on computer related objects but you will be charged GST and PST plus a $5.00 charge if it was sent by Canada Post. It doesn't matter where it was made. If you used some other form of transport such as UPS they'll charge you more than the $5 to process your package."

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think that's the policy for shipping goods from the USA into Canada, but I'm not sure how it works for the other way around.