Buying Macbook from US

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jigspanchal, Jun 27, 2007.

1. jigspanchal macrumors newbie

I have to say this is a awesome forum. I am on the forum all the time at work. I am thinking of getting my first mac(a blackbook) with the student discount and the free ipod. But the taxes here are killing(I live in Canada). Moreover I am going down to Atlanta, Georgia this weekend to visit my family. I was wondering if I could pick up the blackbook from a apple store over there and save on taxes. Does anyone know how much is the taxes in Georgia. Also would I be able to use the student discount over there(since I am registered in a Canadian university).

Thanks guys.

Jigar

2. turnstylez18 macrumors regular

im from toronto and taxes here r ridiculous....
    i actually went down to buffalo and see if i was able to use the educational discount on getting a macbook...
    they said i couldnt do it even if i was in university in canada...

i dont know if they even wanted to give me the discount....but give it a try in atlanta...

3. MacNewbie07 macrumors newbie

Another option for you might be to buy it on Amazon.com, where they have $75 and $100 MIRs, and no sales tax in most states.

4. newmacguy88 macrumors member

I'm not from Gerogia, but if you travel a little further to Florida, the sales tax here is only about 7%.

5. Blax macrumors newbie

Yeah, they won't give you the educational discount. I just graduated high school here in the states, but I'm going back up to Canada next year for university, and they said that they couldn't give me the discount. My friend, however, who's going to the same university as me, managed to get the discount, so it's worth a shot.