Buying MacBook (or MBP) with educator discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StratoMAC, Aug 11, 2007.

1. StratoMAC macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks to everyone who posts to help out others on this forum!

Here's my situation. I am planning to buy my first MacBook or MBP in the not-too-distant future. (SO EXCITED!!) I live with my cousin who is a schoolteacher and therefore he gets the educator discount. He only uses PC's so he's offered to buy the MB or MBP for me so I can get his discount. I stand to save a lot of money, obviously, so this is a great deal.

So, will Apple sell to ME at the Apple store, but using his discount? I want to put the computer on MY credit card and not my cousin's just so if I ever have a problem, I don't have to have him with me if I return it or get it serviced. I want the computer to be mine in Apple's eyes, not his. If they won't do it, my cousin will buy the computer and I'll pay him back, but then my question is if I do that, will that void the Applecare warranty? And, is the fact that he bought it but I'm going to own and use it going to make the initial setup of the computer difficult?

How should I go about this? Any advice is appreciated. :)

2. duskdawn macrumors newbie

Well I am not sure about this but consider it as a gift.
    Say a friend gave me a MB as a birthday gift, must be a very good friend though, and I need customer support now, I am pretty sure I can receive the support even my friend is not around, with the proof of purchase etc.
    I would be more cautious to use another person's discount certificate to buy something for myself than the situation above.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

People abusing the education discount for essentially what is fraud deserve no help at all. And I seriously doubt you'll be able to put it on your credit card; it will not be yours in Apple's eyes.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

get it online and use his credit card and reimburse him*

* doing this would be considered fraud and is therefor illegal and otherwise immoral

5. StratoMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I guess I didn't think of it that way. I just figured that Apple would gain a new customer, sell another computer, and I'd save a few bucks. When you guys say it, though, it does make me see it your point of view. I think I'll go ahead and just buy it myself; I'll feel better about it and won't have to worry about any issues with Apple. I guess I can handle a couple hundred bucks for peace of mind. Thanks for setting me straight, folks. :)