Buying Macbook Pro 13" Stateside but with UK Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexcf, Feb 18, 2010.

1. alexcf macrumors newbie

As the title suggests, how do you go about doing it? Is it even possible to buy a unit in the US (or online) with this setup? Looking online they only give "English", which will be the US keyboard.

Any hints/suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My boss bought his MBP in the states too, but he could only get the US keyboard layout.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. alexcf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, it's pretty much what I thought..!

@jsmegner, yep, if I'm spending time in the US, I would want to have a UK keyboard ;).

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

6. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

There are two differences on the US keyboard to the UK one the @ signed moves above 2 on the US one and you get a $ sign instead of a pound one so you need to use a shortcut which becomes annoying after a while.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Wouldn't the difference only be cosmetic, the character on shift-4? I'm no expert here since I've never seen an English keyboard.

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Something else to remember is that if you buy a US laptop, and then at some point try to sell it in the UK it will probably effect the UK resale value downwards. Also from a legal point of view you should declare the import back into the UK, at which point you would have to pay UK VAT, which is one of the reasons that it appears cheaper than buying in the USA.

9. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

??? Only 3 keys look different I doubt anyone would notice the difference unless they are very familiar with a keyboard and typing an email:). Bar that and the plug which can easily be changed they are the same.

Yes you should pay VAT on any import but you also have to pay the sales tax in the US. Thumb drives and losing boxes etc plus a few mucky finger prints for good measure help with the VAT.