Buying Macbook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamTheeGeek, Feb 26, 2010.

1. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Hey Members ,

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook Pro 13" , i know there is a rumor about a refresh coming soon , but i wanna get one for my birthday march 16th & if the refresh came out and worth the upgrade i wouldn't mind investing in a new Macbook Pro.

So these are the spec's tell me what ya think :

# 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 128GB solid-state drive
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # None
    # Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

So is the 128GB SSD enough for a Macbook Pro ? i wouldn't mind getting WD 500gb external drive for my movies and music.

This laptop is mainly for music surfing and some games, The Sims 3 and couple more.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

The current machines will suit your needs very well.

If you're planning on waiting until March 16th, maybe there will be new ones, maybe there won't be. No one here knows when the new ones will be announced.

if you end up buying the current version, you will be very happy.

The SSD will be more than enough if you plan on getting an external drive....

3. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Cool :D its gonna be my first mac , so i really can't wait hehe.

Just wondering , how much does the OS take from the 128gb ?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Apple's site states that Snow Leopard requires 5 GB of free space.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Wait till your birthday :) Happy birthday btw!
    Maybe and i really hope they come out before the 16th, and it would make sense if they would because most Core iX laptops are coming out in early march or something, so we could see new MBPs, even i can't wait, but if you have another mac you can survive with better wait, as i see you said Sims 3, you might get a better performance with new ones, the NVidia 9400M is great, but not the best compared to current gen. Laptops, also, i don't really suggest you to get an SSD, they're fast and everything, but they're not cheap yet, and technology gets better and cheaper in a fast time, so maybe in early 2011 you can get a 256/512 GB SSD for what you paid now for a 128GB one, I'd rather get a 500GB HDD and upgrade to the SSD as soon as they go bigger and cheaper, i won't get an SSD until 512GB ones are 300 US$
    Better get the 15" one instead of the 13" one with an SSD, a better option if you don't mind carrying a (not much) bigger computer every day, and if you take out your computer less than 4 times a month it shouldn't be a problem, as a gamer, you'll love the extra screen.

:)

EDIT: I can't wait too, but seeing that your computer gets outdated in a few weeks after purchase is depressing, that happened accidentally when i got an iMac, Hard to wait, watch this forum 24/7 but still, your're talking about thousand and hundreds of dollars, not a hamburger

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Nobody knows when the new MBPs are coming out. Stop pretending that you know they're coming in early March.:rolleyes:

Thinking that your computer gets outdated a few weeks after purchase is just not a good attitude to have when it comes to technology. As long as what you bought still works and still does everything well, there shouldn't be a problem. The only reason you find it depressing is out of envy for the new machines. The current ones don't stop working the day new ones are released.....

It would also be great if you used more paragraphs..... your post is very difficult on the eyes.....

7. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Cool , won't be much.

Thanks :D and i know its worth waiting till the refresh but if that's gonna be at April or may maybe June that's too long for me :(, but yea i like the 13" i already got a sony vaio 15" i dont really like the size of it, im looking for something much lighter and i never owned a mac , I've been a windows user for about 14years so im looking for change and something better and different ( and i think the OS looks awsome hehe )

Thank you again :D

8. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

1. I don't pretend, i hope, i wish and i try to make some sense. I never said Steve jobs told me, but there are some reasons for the lack of inventory of them, delayed refresh, many people excluding me are saying that and some are also journalists, there is some hype
    2. At least you won't be happy for the new releases
    But i agree, the thing will still work, and every time i run to a store where they sell MBPs i almost buy one with that reason
    especially when it could be a matter of weeks, like this guy which plays games, he could get a better frames rate for waiting a bit, and that something which people really care about
    3. Sorry for that :)

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

How about Apple Store gift cards? Then if the refreshed MBPs haven't been released yet, you can hang on to the cards until you can't wait any longer. Then go ahead and enjoy your purchase, secure in the knowledge that you waited as long as you could. Happy Birthday.

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

dont waste your money on the crappy apple SSD, buy it with a regular HDD and then upgrade it yourself to a descent SSD if you want one and put the 250gig HDD that comes with that pro and put it in an external case for extra storage

11. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

hehe thanks :p