Buying Macbook Pro 2015 13.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by argysalvatore, Jun 27, 2016.

1. argysalvatore macrumors newbie

argysalvatore

Well, i wait now so many months for the next macbook to be released but nothing. So waiting another 4 months to get it in october doesn't sound so good for me. And considering i'm from Greece, the new macbook pro's will get released here a bit later than in us or uk.

So my question is, is it right to buy the current macbook pro at this point ? Will the difference between Skylake and Broadwell processors be that much? I don't really care about the oled screen , but wanted some info about the new processors. Will i experience the difference when i use it and at which size?

2. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

CPU is the same really. GPU is 30-40% faster. It will most likely feature TB3 and USBC. It will also most likely no longer include USB-A, SD-Card Reader, HDMI or Magsafe.

And how could i forget - no more glowing Apple Logo but instead will come with optional colors.

About time they rebrand from Apple Computers to Apple to Apple Fashion.

3. argysalvatore thread starter macrumors newbie

argysalvatore

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Skylake should be 5-8% faster than Broadwell. The GPU will be faster too. It should have better battery life unless Apple makes it thinner, then the battery life should stay about the same.

Anyway, I bought my 2015 13" rMBP last April and it's a fantastic computer. Would a faster CPU, GPU and better battery life be nice? Sure. Do I need them? No, this rMBP does everything I've asked it to do.

5. kis macrumors 65816

How could a professional computer not have all that stuff????

6. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm also in the market for my first Macbook. I probably don't need the improvements that will come with the 2016 model. Is now the best time, or (based on prior years) is a few days AFTER the release of a new model the best time to get a deal on an older one?

There's one well-rated eBay seller advertising a 2015 MBP 13" 256GB i5 for $300 off (plus they are in NJ which means no tax for me). Do prices on brand new MBPs, prior years model, ever get cheaper than that?

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Plenty of reasons there to buy the 2015.

1. Magsafe is super, it works well and there's no strain on soldered motherboard connections when you attach the power lead.
    2. USB-A suits the peripherals we all have, the USB sticks and external drives.
    3. SD card reader. I confess I never use mine, but all facilities become unexpectedly essential when you haven't got them anymore.
    4. HDMI. Again, I've never used mine, but I've never used the emergency tyre inflator I carry in my car. The point is there available if I need them.
    5. The glowing Apple logo is the killer. Why else would anyone visit a coffee shop but to display that illuminated fruit with quiet pride? Yeah buddy, you're young, cool, and good-looking, just like the supermodel you're sitting with, plus you've got a bigger latte than me. But sweet Mother O'Riley, what is that wretched eyesore of a computer you're using? Was it third prize in a raffle? Just leave it on the table, the cleaners will put it in the trash for you.

Invest in a classic, Argysalvatore, you know it makes sense.

8. jerryk macrumors 68030

Disagree on a few. Magsafe as Apple has implemented it was a great concept, but flawed because of the silly charger. Lots of people have had to buy multiple chargers because the cable frayed. I wish my rMBP had a regular barrel connection.

USB-C is the future. With USB 3.1 and TB-3 and being able to charge the machine it is a great advance. Tried on an a HP Spectre and it is great. Fast and you can charge from any port (there are 3 on the Spectre). Hopefully there will be 3 or 4 USB C/TB3 on the new Macbook Pros.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

While I'm not going to argue that people haven't had trouble with their MagSafe adapters, I'll just point out that I haven't had any issues with the total of 7 MacBooks that me and the rest of my family have owned in the past 9 years.

10. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

In fairness, I've never used my original Apple charger other than to check it worked when I bought the computer, I've used a Lavolta which has been perfect. If USB-C is widely adopted it will be the future, at least until something displaces it, and in the meantime there will be iterative spec changes, so 2016 USB-C may look tired in 2018. I just think the zero-force concept of Magsafe is brilliant and would have preferred that a new connection standard was as clever.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

redman asked:
    "Is now the best time, or (based on prior years) is a few days AFTER the release of a new model the best time to get a deal on an older one?"

Thoroughly familiarize yourself with the -current- MacBook Pro. Know which one you will buy, -if- you choose to buy one now.

Then...... wait until the new MBP's are introduced.

Then.... analyze the feature set of the NEW models (you ALREADY KNOW which one of the "older generation" you would buy, right?).

At this point (while there are still older models available at closeout prices), finalize your buying decision.

12. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Makes sense. I'm assuming there will still be plenty of $300 off deals (or better) on the 2015 models after release of the new one. And lots of used ones being sold on eBay by folks who want to upgrade.