Buying Macbook Pro from Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emir, Jun 10, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

hello everyone, i live in Turkey and i want to buy a macbook pro. Unfortunately 1800$ 15" MBP is 3100$ or even more here. That's why i will ask a friend who is going for a vacation to USA to bring me a MBP. Thing is he is going to Illinois/Chicago and he has work to do so he may not find an Apple Store.

That's why my plan is to buy from amazon, make them send to his hotel. So i will get rid of tax(1800$+%8 tax=1950$, amazon price:1730$ it will save 220$) , i won't have to find cash, he doesn't have to look for an Apple Store, it will be delivered to him, only thing he will do is bringing it. So here are my questions;

1)My credit card has a Turkish billing address. Would it be a problem? Shipping address will be U. S. though.

2)Can i buy now and ask them for a later shipment. For example i will buy on the 14th and i want it delivered exactly on the 20th. I looked a lot but couldn't find any option like that.

3)I just signed up to Amazon and the interface is really bad. I feel lost. What are the things i should note? Any heads up for me? I mean not to get a refurbished one or to get it 100% apple and etc...

4) Do i have any installment options?

5) Are there any disadvantages of doing this than buying from an Apple store?

thank you for your answers.

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

amazon has really good customer service, so I would call their 1800 phone number when placing the order. If this is not possible, I might expect a problem using a credit card from another country; yet it might not be an issue. I know I have used different billing and shipping addresses without an issue on amazon.com.

If you want a specific shipping date, then order a day or so before your friend can receive it and pay for overnight shipping. While it is more expensive, you are still saving quite a bit.
    So if you want it delivered by the 20th and lets say as an example, your friend will be in the US from the 19th-22nd, order it on the 18th with overnight delivery.

Amazon.com does not have the best interface, but I am sure you will not have a problem checking out since you have already found the item you want.

I think there is Bill Me Later for installments, but I would just suggest buying it on the credit card you currently have as I would suspect that Bill Me Later is a US only option.

The disadvantage would be only if you are a student or more importantly if your friend is a student since Apple is currently running their Back to School Promotion which allows you to get a free iPod touch, free printer, and the normal student discount price. Yet the free items are free after rebate, so you would probably not quality since you live outside of the US.

Amazon.com will send you a new NOT refurbished laptop, so you do not need to worry about that.

Good Luck

3. acesam macrumors member

1. I live in Mexico and I order from Amazon.com all the time (they ship to US addresses even if you're an international customer, aren't they awesome?)

2. That option is not available, but if you're a new member you can get a free trial for Amazon Prime (a service that gives you free 2 day shipping on all US orders) so if you want to receive something on a Friday, order it on Wednesday, they will ship using UPS and you're guaranteed to receive it two days later. The trial gives you 1 month of free Amazon Prime service, after one month you will get charged 80 USD. So make sure you turn off the AUTO RENEW option so you don't get charged after your trial.

3. Make sure you order a macbook that is being sold by Amazon, not third party sellers, you're guaranteed a brand new machine (no customization options tho)

4. Nope.

PM if you need anything else. And Amazon is the best online store, they have fantastic customer service.

4. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Hope your friend doesn't get stopped by customs with a new computer on him. Assume you are trying to avoid VAT as well. :D

5. acesam macrumors member

I wrote this on another forum, hope it helps...not sure if it still works:

0. You need a new Amazon account or just an account with no Amazon Prime history (trial/member). I used an account I created in 2001 when I was 13 to order the LOTR soundtrack!

1. Go to http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Darcy-Takes-Wife-Prejudice/dp/1402202733/

2. Click Add to Cart with free 2-day shipping. Proceed to check out.

3. Sign in with your new account.

4. Click Start my Free Trial.

5. You will see a confirmation if it worked, or "Our records indicate that you have previously been a paid or trial member of Amazon Prime. Free trials are currently available to new members only" if it didn't.

6. Deactivate auto-upgrade to full membership:
    Go to Your Account -> Manage Prime Membership -> Click Do Not Upgrade

If you really enjoy Amazon Prime and order a lot of things from them, you should consider getting a full membership, that's $79 a year for free 2 day shipping and 1 day shipping for 3.99 per item.

Good luck!

6. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Just make sure its directly from Amazon and not a scam seller.

7. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Amazon.com accepts international credit cards. Not all U.S. online retailers do though.

Bill me later is for U.S. residents only.

8. EasyJW macrumors member

Hey, have you never thought of using a company like bundlebox or viaddress? you put their address on the order and then they get it and send it to you, thats how I got my iPad earlier [​IMG] works well! as for the card, that should not matter

9. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

customs have problems with laptops if it's not with a user. It's not a problem when you have it with you, it's a problem when it ships.

10. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

You might want to get your friend to unbox the computer and leave the box in America. He'll have less problems with customs.