Buying Macbook Pro, Quick Qs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boobooq88, Aug 7, 2009.

1. boobooq88 macrumors regular

So I am buying a new MBP 15".... the one listed at $1999 US. But got a few questions...

Hard drive is user replaceable right?

I hook up to an external monitor, 24" 1920x1200, should the single link DVI adapter work fine? I do play games occasionally and understand there are sometimes performance differences between single and dual link adapters.

Last one, out of curiosity. Because it has 2 GPUs in it does that mean if one fails you are still able to use the other for video output? Won't affect whether I buy or not... just something that randomly popped in my head.

Thanks

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

First - Congrats.
    A - HDD is user replaceable - mine is right under the cover and very easily accessible.
    B - I use a 22" and have no issues whatsoever.
    And, 3 - I am not certain but I would definitely expect so... they're completely independent so they should be so if failure should occur.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

The only performance difference seems to be that the Dual Link DVI adapter sucks and works erratically. Dual Link is only needed for 2560x1600 resolution so you'll be fine with single link. When I get a Macbook Pro I'm just going to buy a Mini Displayport -> regular Displayport adapter to connect my 30" 2560x1600 display so I don't have to use the flaky, overpriced dual DVI adapter.

4. boobooq88 thread starter macrumors regular