Buying MacBook Pro today.... Book?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bmaintz, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bmaintz macrumors member

Buying my MacBook Pro today, 13' base model....:D
    I know it comes with a small manual BUT I will be looking for a larger spiral manual since I am a PC user to present...
    Would like to have some recomendations from those who have used the other books or manuals...:confused:.
    For 2011 Feb. release Macbook Pros...
    Thank,
    Bob

2. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I am in my 2nd week of Macbook Pro ownership and have been a Windows user since 1993... best book I can recommend is the Internet. Save yourself some cash and just Google any and all questions you have. Most of the time the answers will direct you to MacRumors or Apple's website.

The transition has been fairly painless and I only really feel it when I have to use Windows 7 now and don't have all the gestures at my fingertips (literally)

Welcome to the newbie club!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Good advice! The Apple support site, this forum and other Mac-related sites contain all the information you'll ever need in using your Mac.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

4. Derango macrumors regular

If you really would like a book reference for OS X, you can't go wrong with the missing manual series: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Snow-Leopard-Missing/dp/0596153287

But in all honesty, it's not that hard to switch. Just a matter of finding where things go and a google search here and there can answer a lot of your questions.

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I definitely agree with the selection above if buying a physical book is a must. I have the same "The Missing Manual" series book for the Leopard OS & I humbly think that it is a very good book. Not only that the "The Missing Manual" series books for Mac OS are also very affordable.

Good luck. :)

6. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

the apple website, both US and UK, has countless video tutorials, from learning the basics to many of their advanced software. It's a great place to start learning

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

7. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

+1 on the Apple videos. I would just watch these, they really are helpful.

8. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i switched to mac osx on 1/1/11.. with a hangover.....:mad:

but i immediately took to snow leopard, it was what i always wanted from a os, and it was just so easy to customize and get a basic grasp...

i did not bother to read much beforehand, as the best way to learn, is by experience, there also some very good videos on youtube which coupled with MROOGLE + MR there is a lot of support