Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Hi everyone!
I've been planning to buy a Mac for quite some time, however due to not needing one that much and, of course, because of its price I've felt reluctant buying one.

I'm thinking about getting the base model (non-retina MacBook Pro 13", 4GB RAM), and I'd like to know how it would behave on long-term support and, of course, performance, since it's quite downgraded in relation to the rest of the range.
And I can get one for as much as $400.

Best regards,
Pedro.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It all depends on your needs- if you need a powerful, portable laptop, I think that you have made a good choice. If it is taken care of, MBPs tend to hold their value well.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
It all depends on your needs- if you need a powerful, portable laptop, I think that you have made a good choice. If it is taken care of, MBPs tend to hold their value well.

Do you actually consider this laptop powerful by the true meaning of the word?

It is mostly to write text, read email (that Mail app sure is handy!), watch some PowerPoint presentations and YouTube videos. No powerful apps, no 30-tabs opened at a time.

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC

It is mostly to write text, read email (that Mail app sure is handy!), watch some PowerPoint presentations and YouTube videos. No powerful apps, no 30-tabs opened at a time.

The basic cMBP is too powerful for your specified use above:cool: I'm serious:D:D:D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

I can do all of the above on the G5s in my sig. There's a reason that there is a Pro in the word- It has a Sandy Bridge processor which is overkill for what you will be doing. If you have the $400, then you might jump on it, as that's a great deal, but if that's a bit much, there are much cheaper ways to get a Mac that will do what you need it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.