Buying Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harmlessgoat22, Nov 10, 2008.

1. harmlessgoat22 macrumors member

I'm buying a Macbook Pro, and I was wondering if I should upgrade the 2 gig of RAM to 4 gig.

Here's some stuff I'm gonna be running...

Lots of Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.). I'm also going to have some recording software to record and edit music (not professionally, but just for a band I'm in), and I might also be doing some video editing, although that's not going to be a huge thing. I'll probably at most times be running at least Photoshop and Dreamweaver, probably iTunes and Firefox, of course...

I also plan on keeping this computer for the next 4-5 years, if I can.

My parents are paying for 1400 dollars of it, plus I get a 100 dollar educational discount, so that leaves me at paying 500 dollars if I don't get the extra RAM, and 635 (give or take) if I do get the extra RAM. I'm not a big spender, so I save most of my money, but I think that I might want to do this laptop right, cause I won't be getting a new one for a while. I'll have around 400-500 dollars left if I get the extra 4 gig of RAM, about, and as I mentioned, I don't really use my money for too much.

So, should I upgrade to 4 gig? Or leave it at 2? Money isn't a terrible issue, but I don't want to be getting it if nobody thinks it'll help much.

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Upgrade: no doubt about it. I run the same apps, and 4GB Ram does help. As for where to buy, I advice you to check prices at OWC: the prices are lower and you get to keep the original 2GB, which you can sell in ebay or keep them in case anything goes wrong, or if you change the computer...

3. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if I mentioned, but I'm pretty good with computers, I program stuff, a lot of image creating, coding and making images for websites, but I don't really know much about the actual hardware of a computer, and I get sorta nervous about customizing stuff, so if I did buy the 4gig upgrade, I'd probably just let Apple do it for me, even if it costs me more money...

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

NO PROBLEM.... It's quite easy: 1) as for buying it, OWC helps you buy the right kind by choosing the computer you own. 2) to install it, just follow the very simple instructions that come with your user's manual....

Asking for Apple to do it will cost you more money. Doing it yourself is very easy, doesn´t affect the warranty, and saves you money. OWC sells the original sticks that Apple sells, just without the higher price tag.

5. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

6. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps in the New MBP, the prices aren't that different... but you save anyway, by getting to KEEP the original 2GB on your computer. If Apple upgrades it, they keep it and don´t credit you for it. Anyhow: whatever you do, enjoy you new MBP!

7. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Hey, where can I get a cheap copy of Adobe Photoshop for Mac

8. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

If you're in college, you can get a pretty substantial educational discount...other than that, not sure.

Any other opinions on the 2/4 gig thing??

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Definitely upgrade to 4 GB of RAM, but do it through OWC.

Yes, it is just slightly cheaper than upgrading through Apple, but if you upgrade through Apple, you don't get to keep the original 2 GB of RAM.

11. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The OWC RAM is good stuff. My Mac Pro and MBP are filled with them and I have never had any problems. The OWC RAM in my Mac Pro runs a little hotter then the Apple RAM, but that is a no issue with the MBP, plus it does not run hot enough to mess up my computer.

13. deriko100 macrumors 6502

14. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

15. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

apple ram

i would just buy the ram from apple it is only a few dollars more but you dont have to worry about putting the apple ram back if you have a problem. plus there are trends about owc ram and others not always working. i think it is 135 for students.

16. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Jbrenn. I think that's what I'm gonna do, just because it's easier for me haha