Buying MacBook - To wait, or not to wait? Help!

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
Hey guys in starting college in the fall and have decided to purchase a MacBook. I was looking at the Mid-Level 2.16 with 120 gb HD, etc.

The fact that Apple is pushing these out like Pez (Free Printer and Free Ipod Nano) could either mean a New iPod nano version coming out (likely), or a revised macbook. I do know that apple revised the macbook in May, but i have heard from several people that there is a new chipset or something and that apple is going to release an updated version of the MacBook in a few months. The only upgrade i could think of would be Leopard, but then again i am a mac noob.

I hate buying stuff then a month later something newer and better comes out.

So my question is,

Would you recommend me purchasing it now, or is it worth the wait/are there plans for a new version to come out relatively soon?
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
For you, a college student, now is the time to buy. Apple will not update the iPod or macbook while the sale is going on; they use it as a way to lower inventory of older iPod models.

What you're thinking of is either the Santa Rosa or Penryn chipsets that are potential replacements for the current chip in the macbook. The macbooks won't get any updates until about late October/November because Apple doesn't refresh its product line too often in a year. Notebooks generally see two really good updates in a year, and then that's it.

Don't wait for Leopard, as it won't be out until October. The amount you save by getting a free iPod and priner more than outweighs the $69(as a student) you'd save by waiting for Leopard. Also, you'll need a computer for September and October won't you?

Just buy now and be happy with it. Give yourself sometime to learn things, and show it off to people. My last bit of advice is that you go black. It looks so much better than the white model.:cool:
 

guy4apple

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
5
0
Michigan
I personally would wait until October, and use another laptop until then. If you don't have another laptop then get one when you think you would need it.

iLife 07 is also going to be released.
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
I personally would wait until October, and use another laptop until then. If you don't have another laptop then get one when you think you would need it.

iLife 07 is also going to be released.
I guess it really depends how important iLife is to you. If it is, then wait until December to buy. That way, you get fully updated software that has its bugs worked out, and a near guarantee that the hardware has been updated (plus the added benefit of guilting your parents into paying for it:p)
 

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
3,687
3
buy now...don't wait...the iPod/printer promo is really nice. the mbs are great machines and I don't see them being updated anytime soon.
 

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
thanks for the quick responses.

i havent heard anything regarding iLife? I think ill have to look to see what its about.


I think im going to go ahead and purchase one now, sell the ipod and printer (as i already have both of those).

As far as Applecare program goes, worth it? I tried looking into it, couldnt find out exaclty what was covered...IE Accidental damage, if **** just breaks on its own, etc....
I was leaning towards purchasing it because my brothers macbook two years ago broke while there was a problem with the motherboard. So it was useless....and it all happened 13 months after he purchased it so it was out of his warranty date.

Thanks for all the info guys!
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
I think im going to go ahead and purchase one now, sell the ipod and printer (as i already have both of those).

As far as Applecare program goes, worth it? I tried looking into it, couldnt find out exaclty what was covered...IE Accidental damage, if **** just breaks on its own, etc....
I was leaning towards purchasing it because my brothers macbook two years ago broke while there was a problem with the motherboard. So it was useless....and it all happened 13 months after he purchased it so it was out of his warranty date.

Thanks for all the info guys!
If it's going to be charged on a credit card, see what warranties they offer for free. Sometimes, they're just as good as Applecare.
 

GusR9

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
73
0
Well dude I'm going to college this summer (august) I just bought a macbook because the macbook specs right now are very good if not excellente for my needs (office, msn, safari mainly) I love the actual design and everything for me is more than perfect on october I'm going to make the upgrade for leopard but thats all. I was in a similar situation a few months ago if I should wait or buy, and I buy and I'm extremely happy
If you need it now, if you want it now buy now, if not wait, but remember the world of technology is going to change constantly.
Good luck!
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
Definitely buy now. Macbooks were updated recently and I remember this situation last year where during the month of July people were waiting of updates that didn't come till November. While it looks like in the next update the macbook might get Santa Rosa, for a student the difference in performance seems negligible. I'm going into my last year in school and have the last gen macbook which is nothing short of amazing. If you feel impatient, buy a used/refurbished macbook or powerbook and use it till the next update and then sell it. I did that with a tibook last year and actually sold at a profit. Either way good luck.
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

The macbook was recently udated and if you buy now you wont have to worry about buying an outdated product. Plus, the free ipod deal outweighs waiting for leopard to come shipped on the macbook - which is still isnt hapening for a few more months
 

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
Awesome.
Later today I will be making my purchase before the Printer/iPod deal ends.

My only concern now is applecare....How many of you made the purchase? WOrth it?
 

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
well today my dad and I went to the apple store and made the purchase :)

My dad felt it was neccessary i had 2 gigs of ram, applecare, and proCare (which i felt was a joke, the apple guy just kinda forced it on us before telling us what it is.). I got a 30 gig video, and a Cannon Photo printer for free as well.

Very expensive investment, I hope it treats me well.
 

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
172
0
I think the warranty's are very much worthwhile on something that is considered an investment. Imagine in 2.5 years your logic board dies, and that costs about 900$, youll be happy you spent 250 in the past...

I havent gotten it yet because money was tight and they let you get the warranty anytime in the first year.

not too tight to upgrade the Nano to a 30gb video, too :)
 

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
Im stoked for all of this, lol it was a 50$ to get the video so i figured what the hell.

All this reading about new macbooks coming out in the fall with touch-screen technology kinda makes me bummed out....but so far so good!

thanks for the help guys

:apple:
<3
 

ayabaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
7
0
Lol i just checked apple and they are extending the free printer deal until Oct 22
oh well
 

ballstriker

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
3
0
Bergen County, NJ
Hey guys in starting college in the fall and have decided to purchase a MacBook. I was looking at the Mid-Level 2.16 with 120 gb HD, etc.

The fact that Apple is pushing these out like Pez (Free Printer and Free Ipod Nano) could either mean a New iPod nano version coming out (likely), or a revised macbook. I do know that apple revised the macbook in May, but i have heard from several people that there is a new chipset or something and that apple is going to release an updated version of the MacBook in a few months. The only upgrade i could think of would be Leopard, but then again i am a mac noob.

I hate buying stuff then a month later something newer and better comes out.

So my question is,

Would you recommend me purchasing it now, or is it worth the wait/are there plans for a new version to come out relatively soon?
It depends how cheap you can get one. Look on craigslist and ebay it seems there are tons of macbooks out there either new in box or almost new. Why? I have no idea.

There were a bunch of new ones on craigslist and I got a new in box 2.16 white 1GB Memory (now 3gb) and 120 hdd for $825 cash, I got to unbox it and register it with apple, no problems, it's got a red techshell too.

So find yourself a cheap one that you'll be able to re-sell when the next gen comes out or one that you won't lose much money on so you'll have one now and have one later. Maybe you'll keep the one you get now as an apple tv hub (that's my plan).