Buying macbook today!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CaptainCaveMann, Mar 13, 2008.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok I'm getting a new macbook today and I just had some final questions...

I wanted the black one, but I don't need the 250gb hard drive and I don't really want to pay extra for black when I could use the money I saved to buy a nice bag for it. What do you guys think?

So it comes down to the middle of the line macbook and the blackbook. They both have Penryn right?

Also, all you new owners of white macbook's, do they still dis-color?

Any other differences I should know about between these two models??

Thanks everyone!

2. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

blackbook's have different materials, a matte finish, thats why it costs more.

they both have the 2.4ghz penryn core 2 duo. they also both have 2gb.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What kind of different materials?

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

not different materials, both are polycarbonate, different finishes, the whitebook has a glossy finish, and a hard plastic finish on the inside

blackbooks have matte finishes around, but on the inside its a softer matte finish.

5. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

don't get black.

I got black and I wish I got white.

For 1. Your just going to waste your money for a color

and 2. You can get the same performace on the regular ones than on a black one

and 3. Grease from your fingers will sow up all over the keyboard and toucpad really easily

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've owned both, and I disagree.

1. It's not a "waste" if you prefer the black.
    2. Same as above.
    3. Yes, but the white ones scratch (on the outside), and discolor (on the palmrests)

All in all, I think the black ends up staying much cleaner looking. But it's really just a matter of personal preference.

7. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

That is why zCover and iSkin make keyboard skins for the MacBook and also other companies make protective films for the palm rest areas.

For my new black MacBook I got a zCover keyboard skin and also I am going to get a palm rest protectors this weekend. The keyboard skin is great - when it gets "dirty" you can wash it with dish soap and rinse it off and let air dry.

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Like you I was not impressed by the 250gig hard drive, you can get the smaller drive and same processor as the black one. That said, when I saw the black one I fell for it; and that is the one I got. Very happy... very... new black MBs are black all the way through, not painted. Love it to bits.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The discolor can be removed 100% by a simple wipe of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. At first I was worried about the palm thing, but heck...the sponges come in packs of two and one pack has lasted me over three months.

So, the discoloration thing should have zero impact since it's harder to remove the prints off a blackbook :)

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

If you like the black but are concerned about the price, and the increase in HDD isn't important to you, you should consider a refurbed previous gen 2.2 blackbook, that way you get the best of both worlds. No, it won't have penryn, but from what I hear that's not that big of a deal. And you can upgrade the ram yourself quite cheaply.

11. Italchef macrumors 6502

I just got my white Macbook on tuesday. I bought the 2.4GHz and upgraded the hard drive to 250GB and saved $100 over the black one with the same specs. I like the white and always have, and saving the $100 and putting the savings towards 4GB RAM was more important than a color choice. Whatever you decide to get, you'll love it. It's really a great little machine, very easy and fun to use. Enjoy it when you get it.

Mick

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I've had both. I wanted the top model either way, so it basically came down to a color choice for me. I prefer the look of the black and so I paid a bit extra for it. Just like upgraded paint on a car, you pay a little more for looks some times (or, as Client 9 recently found out, you pay a lot for looks some times).

Buy the one you prefer and be happy. In a couple months, you can upgrade the hard drive to 500GB and have the biggest MacBook on the block if you want.

13. TK B$K macrumors 6502

in my opninion i think tha black ones look far nicer than white, and yes they dont get as dirty as white.