Buying Macs in Quantity

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sclough, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sclough macrumors regular

I'm wondering if anyone knows if any of the large vendors sell Macs in quantity. My wife started a small private school and a donor contributed money to buy the teachers computers. I'm trying to buy 11 MBA's for the teachers, but also get the best deal. Since our 501c3 is in process, I don't have a tax-exempt letter yet so it's better to buy from a retailer that doesn't charge tax and from Apple with their educational discount. I placed an order with MacMall, but after a few days they cancelled it saying that Apple wouldn't allow them to sell in that large a quantity and I had to buy from Apple.

Anyone know if there's someone that maybe has their own inventory and would sell to save the school some money before I have to go to Apple?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I've had to buy Macs in quantity in the UK and have used various resellers. I've always got a bit of a discount but not as much as you would think.

3. saxondale. macrumors 6502

have you thought about heading into the retail store and setting up a business account with apple?

4. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Honestly the store wasn't that helpful. They offered the standard educational price which was more expensive than MacMall's currently discounted price.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why not just buy as much as you can through MacMall and either wait and buy a second batch later on or go through Apple for the remainder?

6. ChadMSU07 macrumors newbie

Or find out how many you can order at a time and see if it's feasible to place multiple orders to get the quantity you need.

7. Thrakar macrumors newbie

I believe I can help you out. I work for an Apple Authorized Reseller. We have been in business for over 15 years now. We routinely work with all shapes and sizes of organizations.

Click the link below, and send us what you are looking for and we can work with you on getting the best deal we can.
    http://sewelltech.wufoo.com/forms/s7x3w7/

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Resellers have a very small profit margin on Apple products, I would assume it's because they would prefer selling as much as possible themselves to maximise profits. It's probably best to go to a retailer with a large stock and add peripherals from other manufacturers if you're looking for a good deal.

9. primalman macrumors 6502a

You need to contact apple sales,directly. I have worked for different edu places in my career, and we always went direct to apple. There are also leasing options that are available, can make things cheaper or allow for a reasonable leae and options to buy it out at the end. The edu I work for now leases all desktop,apple machines, like 6000 of them. Gets us a three year turnover.

10. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

I hadn't thought about leasing through Apple. Looks like MacMall may take care of sending it through in multiple orders for us. If that fails, I was able to get a hold of an Apple rep and got a better offer on some educational only computers.