buying, MB vs MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. Eko, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Mr. Eko macrumors member

I have had a PC my whole life, not really by choice though. I will be going to college this fall and I'm getting a mac, but I just don't know which one. I won't be doing anything real complicated like games or any out of the ordinary applications. Here are some of my questions.

I want to keep one for a long time so will the MBP be more reliable?
    If I get the MB, does the black scratch easy? I think I read something on that.
    I'm going to wait for the next update, so I'm in no rush, but it will be before Sep?

imo, I think the MB would do fine for me, but is there anything on the MBP that would make it worth buying for my situation?

PS: thanks ahead of time for the help

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you're not doing anything too intensive, the MB should be fine. I don't think it will last any less time than the MBP; the price difference is for other reasons.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Always going to rec the MB over the MBP unless you explicitly need the graphics card.

4. Mr. Eko thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I'll most likely get the MB then. I'm leaning towards the black, since the bigger HD and I like the color. Are there any major cons for the black though, like scratching etc?

5. curiosa863 macrumors member

I think that you should buy the best you can reasonably afford.
    If you have the money, go MBP, even if you don't think you'll use all the processing power.

6. thinkband macrumors regular

I wouldn't throw out the idea of the MBP too quickly now.

Sweet features MPB:
    -Backlit Keyboard
    -Slick case
    -15" or 17" screen (higher resolutions)
    -most likely to have multitouch before macbook
    -better graphics card (you may not think you need it now, but it doesnt hurt)
    -magsafe
    -Nicer keyboard (at least in my opinion)
    -LED screen
    -better BTO options

I think someone like you could really use some of the Macbook pro features, which probably will not cost you more than $800. Backlit keyboard will allow you to see better in the dark dorm room. You probably will want to get an external screen with a small 13" macbook screen. Multitouch is nice if you have some photos and want to show them off. LED screen will last longer and is brighter.

It of course is up to you and your budget. For me, I am going to be a college student as well, and like you am waiting for the updates. I plan on getting the ADC discount which will take 20% off your system, ie $1600 for the base MBP. See what features you want, comparing both machines side to side.

My two cents.

7. ivan1234 macrumors regular

if you don't need the extra power of the pro then get the mb and save a lot of money.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Both the macbook and macbook pro have that feature. ;)

OP, I went through a similar dilemma before finally making my decision. Here's the process I used:

I first compared the two models I wanted:

1) Black Macbook Price: $1400 with EDU discount

2) Base Macbook Pro Price: $1800 with EDU discount

Thus, I would be putting in an additional $400 to get the pro. Here's what I got over the macbook for those $400:

1. Santa Rosa chips vs the C2Ds that had been out last June
    2. Backlit keyboard
    3. Much better speakers
    4. LED backlit screen
    5. More comfortable keyboard (for me, and I spent a lot of time with both before coming to that judgement).
    6. Larger screen
    7. Cleaner look (I'm a huge fan of silver notebooks, and I think most people would agree that the mbp is beautiful).

I think there were a few other side factors, but in the end, I went with the pro. At the time I bought, the macbook was sporting an older CPU and just didn't have the same appeal to me that the mbp did. I figured that I might as well spend the extra $400 to get the machine I actually wanted as opposed to one I felt I compromised for. I mean, compared to the cost of just text books, $400 won't get you far at all in college.

From that angle, you shouldn't stress too much and get the machine you feel is right for you. :)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just had to make this decision as well. For me, I chose the MBP mainly for the larger screen.

10. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Girlfriend has had a MBP for over a year; I just got a MB five months ago. She likes mine better. Why? It's smaller. Bigger isn't always better. Depends what you're doing. Sometimes I look at her "giant" screen and think it would be nice, but when you're just surfing, playing iTunes and reading email, hard not to like the small size. Also, plastic is warmer than Al. Watching movies is better on MBP.

11. Mr. Eko thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, I didn't check them out as much as I should have. I assumed some of the features I saw on the MBP were on the MB, like the back light. I think that would be real useful. I really want one with the new touch pad features, so if it would be on the MBP first. I might need to look into the low end. I do not want the 17". I will get the high end MB or low-medium end MBP, if the price won't be that much diff I'll look more into the MBP.

Thanks

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Another consideration is that you can get the MBP with a matte screen.

The MB only comes with a glossy screen.

For some, this can be a deal breaker.

13. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

Hey, why don't you just get a MacBook Air? It has a backlit keyboard. The 13.3" is much handier than the 15". And, the MBP gets HOT. I had one, and it really got hot. The MacBooks and (I suppose) MacBook Airs don't get that hot. I'm not sure yet about the MBA getting hot, but I would think that it might run cooler than maybe the MacBook?

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Doubt it. Aluminum is always going to conduct better than plastic. And the thinner it is, the less room there'll be for air to circulate inside the MBA. The thinness is one of the primary reasons Macs are hotter than equivalent PC laptops. The poor fan placement is the other. Combine both, and this will probably be a toasty computer.

15. mellow2bits macrumors member

get the cheapest you can afford!

I'm sorry to disagree: the economical choice is to get the cheapest MacBook (pro) you can afford (not money-wise, but usage-wise)! if you're no user of heavy applications, you will not outgrow the cheaper mac book before the Pro. and it will cost you much less on a yearly base. on average: buy cheaper and get a higher performance/dollar ratio. you simply pay premium for top of the line.

just my (cheap) 2 cents ;)

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh yeah, that was one of my reasons too. :eek:

I couldn't live with the glossy screen. :eek: