Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle29

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hi, this may be a silly question but my local Apple store is quite far away and I don't want to waste a journey (I'm based in the UK by the way).

Does the Apple store offer upgrades to the base models? On the 11" model you can upgrade to a 128gb SSD online, but does the retail store only sell the base model with 64gb SSD? Or would they be able to sell me the MBA with a 128gb SSD to walk away with?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hi, this may be a silly question but my local Apple store is quite far away and I don't want to waste a journey (I'm based in the UK by the way).

Does the Apple store offer upgrades to the base models? On the 11" model you can upgrade to a 128gb SSD online, but does the retail store only sell the base model with 64gb SSD? Or would they be able to sell me the MBA with a 128gb SSD to walk away with?

Recently apple started letting "some" stores hold custom orders for people to pick up. I think it started in SF ( maybe ) and has expanded somewhat but not sure to what extent.

In the old days as far as I know just the base models were in the stores.

Best advice is to call the store you are thinking about going to well ahead of time and ask them what is available for custom orders.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
In the Cambridge Apple Store, I only saw the pre-configured models, i.e. if you want 128GB SSD on the 11" MBA, then it will come with the 4GB RAM.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I bought an i7 MBA at a local store... this is an upgrade option online. I was in and out in about 15 minutes getting the MBA, Thunderbolt display and a couple of other accessories. And that was on the day after the iPhone 4s was released.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I bought an i7 MBA at a local store... this is an upgrade option online. I was in and out in about 15 minutes getting the MBA, Thunderbolt display and a couple of other accessories. And that was on the day after the iPhone 4s was released.

Sometimes stores will stock popular configs. I was able to buy the 13" MBA Ultimate (Highest ent MBA w/ the 1.8 Ghz i7 proc) in store instead of having to wait for it to ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.