Buying MBA with Replaced Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by boba7523, Sep 27, 2012.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

There is a MBA i'm interested in with cracked screen that was replaced.

I'd like to know if there are different qualities of the screen, and how to tell if it's a more subpar screen. Also, I heard it's very hard to replace the screen. Is there any way I can tell if the person who replaced it did a half ass job on replacing it, such as not giving close attention to the inside of the MBA that's not visible from the outside?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Can't comment on the quality of the screen.

Workmanship wise... there is not a whole lot "art" in replacing a laptop screen. It either works or it doesn't. Stuff like laptop use tiny, many time customize components, it's not like the guy can give u cheap capacitors! A replacement screen has maybe 2 parts: the screen itself AND *maybe* a power adapter module. It's a remove and swap job. If people tells you is hard because you have to deal with tiny, very small cables, screws and connectors etc, otherwise it really doesn't take a rocket scientist.

He should be able to give u a 7 days, check-out period, in case of major issues.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Have to disagree with you on this one - the screen on the Air is VERY, VERY difficult to replace. If the screen wasn't replaced by Apple, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, unless the price is very low.

You basically have to replace the entire screen and lid as one component for the swap to be reasonably easy, as the screen itself is glued to the rest of the lid components. Given that the screen assembly is extremely expensive to fix after the fact, you are taking a big chance if this was a self-repair on the screen.