Buying MBP 13 today- how much RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JeanThree, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JeanThree macrumors newbie

DH says upgrade to 4GB for $100 now, I want to save $ and stick with the 2GB. Would the 4GB speed up page loading? I do have multiple windows open. I am light user, surfing the net, home photos. I am buying to share with DD in college, so have to buy before the 8th to get her the itouch.

Other little Questions
    Anything else I need to know before buying?
    I just upgraded my imacG5 successfully with Crucial and it was easy, same with MBP?
    I am going to wait on Aperture thinking version3 might be around the corner?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2GB is enough. Get more when you have money and yes, it is quite easy, just follow a tutorial from Youtube. Hard to say about Aperture 3.. If you buy Aperture 2, you can upgrade to 3 for lower price though but if you don't need it now, wait.

3. philipk macrumors 6502

I always answer this question as a two parter.

1. $80 to $100 in the long run is very little money to most people. It is a cheap upgrade so just do it.

2. If you are in the minority where $80-$100 dollars will dent your budget and if you are a normal to light Mac user, then save your money and don't upgrade.

You will not notice much difference in 99% of your usage if you upgrade.

My wife has two 13 inch 2.2 Ghz MacBooks, one belongs to her and one belongs to her school. Her's has 4 GB and the school's has 2 GB. She never notices the difference. She mostly uses Mail, Safari, Word, and iPhoto.

2 GB is fine but as a cheap upgrade I like 4 GB.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, $100 is worth the cost to double the RAM. I say do it.

5. JeanThree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all--Darn, that means my husband is right, again???? Hellhammer, thanks for being on my side. I think I will go with 4 since the $100 isn't that much more and it is always nice to say, yea, honey, you're right I'll take your advice.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Right and right... It's hard to say. 2GB is standard nowadays and is enough but 4GB will boost things up. As said above, 100$ isn't much when purchasing computer if you get something better. I'd still get 2GB now, and buy 4GB later on if you want to speed it up. It's also cheaper through 3rd party seller.