Buying MBP 15" Unibody...Price a Scam?

JesseC45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Ok so looking to buy a 15" unibody 2009 MBP from a seller on craigslist. It was purchased supposedly on a great black friday deal and is being sold for $879 which I know seems way to good to be true. Contacted the seller and seems legit (no Nigeria resident, not living overseas, verified she only lives 45mins away) but she wants to arrange payment first before meeting through Amazon payments which she says protects buyer and seller. Obviously red flag goes off there but what do you people think? Can anyone verify that Amazon payments protect buyers in case the seller does not come through? Thanks

Specs below...
- 2.8GHz
- 4GB Ram
- APPLECARE 2012
- 320 GB Hardrive

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Not a chance it's legit. $10 says she changes her mind or has a fake Amazon spoof site set up. Anyone who turns down cash at an in person meeting can't be legit.

PK!

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
Not a chance it's legit. $10 says she changes her mind or has a fake Amazon spoof site set up. Anyone who turns down cash at an in person meeting can't be legit.
I completely agree.
If she only lives 45 minutes away and won't meet you face-to-face and take cash, I have a gut feeling she's trying to take you for a ride.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Let me write this again. ANYTHING ON CRAIGSLIST THAT WANTS YOU TO SEND MONEY IS A SCAM. unless its software from china ;)

theres a guy near me who always sells macbook pros with applecare for real cheap. There most likely bought with stolen credit cards.

If this women wont meet, its a scam.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Ok so looking to buy a 15" unibody 2009 MBP from a seller on craigslist. It was purchased supposedly on a great black friday deal and is being sold for $879 which I know seems way to good to be true. Contacted the seller and seems legit (no Nigeria resident, not living overseas, verified she only lives 45mins away) but she wants to arrange payment first before meeting through Amazon payments which she says protects buyer and seller. Obviously red flag goes off there but what do you people think? Can anyone verify that Amazon payments protect buyers in case the seller does not come through? Thanks

Specs below...
- 2.8GHz
- 4GB Ram
- APPLECARE 2012
- 320 GB Hardrive
On Black Friday, for Macs, $200 off is the norm. Not $100, LOL! :D

Definitely a scam.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
On Black Friday, for Macs, $200 off is the norm. Not $1000, LOL! :D

Definitely a scam.
Think you missed a 0 there so I fixed it for you.;)

To the OP, when dealing with Craigslist I have 2 rules: Always deal in cash & and always deal in person. If I can't, then I don't do the deal.

JesseC45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Alright thanks for confirming my gut feeling and I will post a reply as well on craigslist warning others of the scam she is trying to pull!

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Police just nabbed a few Craiglist scammers around here. They were luring laptop buyers into abandoned houses and then beating and robbing them. They did have excellent pricing, though.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Police just nabbed a few Craiglist scammers around here. They were luring laptop buyers into abandoned houses and then beating and robbing them. They did have excellent pricing, though.
thats crazy. i do alot of craigslist stuff. ill watch my back more now. to anyone doing craigslist. always meet in a public place and bring someone else.

Where was this