Buying MBP 15" Unibody...Price a Scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JesseC45, Dec 7, 2009.

1. JesseC45 macrumors newbie

Ok so looking to buy a 15" unibody 2009 MBP from a seller on craigslist. It was purchased supposedly on a great black friday deal and is being sold for $879 which I know seems way to good to be true. Contacted the seller and seems legit (no Nigeria resident, not living overseas, verified she only lives 45mins away) but she wants to arrange payment first before meeting through Amazon payments which she says protects buyer and seller. Obviously red flag goes off there but what do you people think? Can anyone verify that Amazon payments protect buyers in case the seller does not come through? Thanks

Specs below...
    - 2.8GHz
    - 4GB Ram
    - APPLECARE 2012
    - 320 GB Hardrive

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not a chance it's legit. $10 says she changes her mind or has a fake Amazon spoof site set up. Anyone who turns down cash at an in person meeting can't be legit.

3. PK! macrumors newbie

I completely agree.
    If she only lives 45 minutes away and won't meet you face-to-face and take cash, I have a gut feeling she's trying to take you for a ride.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

only $10? eff that, $1000 says its a scam.

tell her to kiss off, cash only, in person, in 15 minutes.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Let me write this again. ANYTHING ON CRAIGSLIST THAT WANTS YOU TO SEND MONEY IS A SCAM. unless its software from china ;)

theres a guy near me who always sells macbook pros with applecare for real cheap. There most likely bought with stolen credit cards.

If this women wont meet, its a scam.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

On Black Friday, for Macs, $200 off is the norm. Not $100, LOL! :D

Definitely a scam.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Think you missed a 0 there so I fixed it for you.;)

To the OP, when dealing with Craigslist I have 2 rules: Always deal in cash & and always deal in person. If I can't, then I don't do the deal.

8. JesseC45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for confirming my gut feeling and I will post a reply as well on craigslist warning others of the scam she is trying to pull!

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Police just nabbed a few Craiglist scammers around here. They were luring laptop buyers into abandoned houses and then beating and robbing them. They did have excellent pricing, though.

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

thats crazy. i do alot of craigslist stuff. ill watch my back more now. to anyone doing craigslist. always meet in a public place and bring someone else.

Where was this

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas