Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I'm going to the US soon and was considering grabbing a 13" Macbook Pro over there but was wondering how warranty/AppleCare works when I bring it back to Finland and if the computer has a problem? Do I simply take or ship it to a local Apple service center or what?

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I'm going to the US soon and was considering grabbing a 13" Macbook Pro over there but was wondering how warranty/AppleCare works when I bring it back to Finland and if the computer has a problem? Do I simply take or ship it to a local Apple service center or what?

Warranty will be only for the US and AppleCare will be universal. How do I know? Because I was going to buy one off the German economy and consulted with Apple. I am waiting to get my MBP from the US after my deployment.

So if you were going to buy one from the US - GRAB AppleCare.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Mac warranty is worldwide. Period. Apple care too of course.

I bought my macbook in Spain and the gpu melted a few days ago. Got it repaired for free in Mexico in 3 days and paid nothing.

I know the guy that programmed the backend system of the mexico apple repairing system. Apple has a global database and when ever someone buys an apple product it goes there. So when you bring your mac to any official apple service they know everything about you.

Maybe big brother is not 100% evil after all...

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Some googling has given me conflicting information. Some posts on forums say that warranty is global too. This AppleInsider news article says similar things: http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._global_warranty_on_all_computer_systems.html

Well I called Apple approx 1.5 months ago about the situation. I had asked specifically about myself purchasing a MBP at a Saturn (Best Buy like store in Europe) or at an Apple store. I had asked if the warranty would be valid in the States. She (the Apple rep) said sorry but only in the country where you purchased. She did say that AppleCare would be global.

I have no reason to lie. If Apple told me wrongful information than shame on them. However, I didn't want to take the risk after the answer that was given to me.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Here's a better solution. Call Apple support and get it from the horses mouth. I would much rather have you feeling rest assured by hearing it for yourself than others posting about what he or she said.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
"If you seek
service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable export laws
and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges.
For international service, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable
products and parts that comply with local standards."

Those are the conditions on seeking warranty in other countries. So it means they give you warranty, but with those conditions.

Of course if you're in the middle of Africa that is going to be a problem... but not in most EU contries or American countries (US, Canada, Mexico, etc)

Found on http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/ (hardware warranty pdf)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.