Buying MBP, and perhaps some extra RAM !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Sep 8, 2009.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

The 13" MBP comes with two GB of RAM. I currently own an ibook, but I am gearing towards using several design and audio applications. I wonder if I'll really need some extra RAM. If I do it, I would get four GB, and not eight GB (pricey!!).

I just wonder what kind of work will i be doing in order to need four GB of RAM, as opposed to two GB ??

Thank you very much in advance, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. brendu macrumors 68020

photoshop will be something youll want more ram for... not sure what else you plan on using 4 gigs would be the most you will need with todays apps.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

4. nateharr macrumors 6502

I'd bump yourself up from 2 to 4 GB. To save yourself some dough, do it yourself with RAM bought from newegg.com.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well technically you don't need more RAM but it will help speed things up as the computer will have to access your HD less often.

Photoshop will be fine with 2GB unless you're working with big files, 3D modeling video/audio editing like to use RAM too so it would be helpful to get more.

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I'd get four just so in a year or so you're not saying "I wish I had gotten more." And never pay for apple ram. They charge way too much, just look for crucial or look on newegg and do it yourself unless you're terrified of opening up your computer.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could get 4GB, but unless you find yourself needing it, it'll be waste of money.

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

4 GB at the apple store for the MBP will be like $100, ($108 w/tax). Can one get it cheaper from newegg or crucial ?? I just wonder how expensive would it be to add it on later on. For the MBP, are 4GB two sticks of 2GB each ??

Thank you,

igmolinav.

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

A cursory glance of their home page would suggest that the 4GB upgrade (two sticks @ 2GB each, matched pairs) is a little over $60. You'd have to check with your exact model here.

10. RDM3 macrumors regular

4 gb of RAM is so cheap there is no reason not to upgrade

11. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

For me I am into advanced software engineering and GUI design. All programming related, of course. 2nd Year honours university and I seldom use all 4GB of ram even at the most extreme circumstances. Here is a breakdown of what I use:

1. XCode: Very important for me as it provided development tools and the compilers for use in the command line which include but are not limited to gcc, g++ and javac.

2. Safari: I use this for web-browsing and checking on assignments, project progress and basically staying in touch with my development team.

3. iWork (Pages and Keynote mostly): I use pages for professional document writing and keynote for making quick presentations that look amazing.

The above 3 are the most used applications.

I usually have up to 4 or 6 safari windows open at any time.

For coding I usually have 2 terminals open (command line). I also have, depending on the project at hand, up to and around 8 Xcode file windows open and a main project open.

Typical ram usage for me is around 2GB (2.3GB to be precise).
    Extreme usage usually runs me a little over 3GB of ram, I have never hit 4 once.

Now if you do more than what I do, you may need more ram but to be honest you must have some ridiculous needs if you need more than 4GB.

12. neosferatu macrumors newbie

some guy 555,

perhaps dealing with high resolution image files, rendering a 3d environment with full effects and sorts...?

anyway in my book: 2GB is enough for casual users, 4GB is an advantage for hardcore users and 8GB is ok but i'll do it couple of years from now.

13. fried-gold macrumors member

Def 4 gigs... Large Photoshop files eat up ram like a fat kid with cake. If i could afford 8 it would be in there in a flash...