Buying MBP--Apple or Marketplace?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Val-kyrie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I am looking into getting a new MBP. I am tempted by Apple's prev gen refurb (2.7GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM NV650) for about $2150. I want a discrete gfx card and current gen is too expensive for my taste, so I have also considered buying a MBP from the Marketplace, but I now wonder how safe it is. How do I tell if I am dealing with the MR member or a hacktivist?

Also, what issues should I be aware of before buying the previous gen refurb from Apple? Are there still screen lag issues, image retention, etc., even in the revised hardware (Feb, 2013)? Other issues?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The requirements for entry into the marketplace (at least 250 posts and at least six months of membership) reduce the likelihood that you're dealing with someone unscrupulous. This rule gives people a chance to get to know a member before transacting business with them.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Marketplace is pretty safe. I have bought on the Marketplace at least a half dozen times with no issues. Two of those purchases were MBP's. Have one in my hands and other is on it's way. You can in most cases pay with Paypal, might be slightly more in cost if not PP Gift, but gives you some protection.

Not that you need it. People selling on there are decent and have a reputation to keep. A lot of them have been around MacRumors for a long time.

The only thing is you may have to wait a bit to find exactly what you are looking for. You can put up a "Want To Buy" ad with the specs you are looking for and what you are willing to spend as well in the Marketplace.

4. Yell0w macrumors regular

Hey guys I have a question. It's not visible to members who don't fulfill the requirements right? I just need to increase my post count. Currently at 160

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. It's not visible until the requirements are met.

6. Yell0w macrumors regular

That's what I thought. Thanks.

7. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

I have had no problems buying from the marketplace in the past, but I guess I wondered how safe the marketplace is now that MR has had a security breach.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The security breach has no effect on the trustworthiness of the members who participate in the Marketplace.

9. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not their trustworthiness, but whether a member's account has been taken over without someone knowing. This is my only concern.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the transaction would occur outside the forum, you would hopefully communicate directly with the buyer/seller, which will give you an idea how to proceed.