Buying MBP every refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Austin00, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Austin00 macrumors member

Hi All,

Looking into buying at each refresh, but want to know what the depreciation is.

Has anyone been through a few refreshes, selling their current laptop each time and therefore know approx what they lost each time?

I'm looking at selling my base-2010 13" now that the rMBP's are the same weight.

Thanks,

Austin

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a good place to start would be to see what ebay/cl prices for the last gen are going for

3. leenak macrumors 68020

and you should know that Ebay/Paypal will take a decent chunk from you for selling on Ebay.

4. spdntrxi macrumors regular

yep Min 10% closer to 12-13

5. Austin00 thread starter macrumors member

Good call, I've looked at eBay and have a good idea of how this refresh is hitting prices, but does anyone actually do this regularly?

Rather than upgrade every ~2yrs, is it better for your wallet to upgrade every cycle?

I know eBay takes 10%, but I'm having quite good responses for my MBP now on gumtree (UK equivalent of craigslist I believe)

6. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

The key is to sell BEFORE the refresh. I can't believe the prices I see things go for on CL before a refresh. If you are lucky enough to have a SO with a Mac Air or something, or if you have another PC... That is the time to sell.

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Check out Powermax, they offer trade-ins, usually for decent prices. I'd email them and ask them what the typical depreciations are for each refresh. Since they would love to have your business, and since you fit their business model very well, they ought to give you an honest and well-informed reply. You can also use their selling prices as a good metric of the value of your machine.

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If you buy, a 2012 refurb once available or brand new with a student discount you should not do to bad. I have bought and sold many macs for profit or with minimal loss. Sell before the refresh and do not buy top of the line.

Look what the price of the 2011 top of the line airs sell for on the refurb site!!! For the pro buy the base and upgrade yourself if needed.

If you buy the top of the line rMBP you will take a big hit if you try to sell it after a refresh next year!!