Buying MBP from Mac Mall or MacConnection is it safe and worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exiag335, Feb 3, 2009.

1. exiag335 macrumors member

Hello
    I want to buy the new MBP and I was thinking about buying it from Mac Mall or MacConnections.

Are either one of these stores safe and ok to buy from? Is their D.O.A policey good and can I take the MBP to any Apple store for repairs if I am still under Apple care?

Help please
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If spending so much money, why not pay the little extra and buy straight from Apple. The truth is resellers don't have one bit of interest in the sale once they have your money. Only you and Apple care about your new MacBook Pro. Apple cares for various reasons. But more than anything only Apple has a stake in it until your warranty expires. I have seen a few photos of damaged Macs received from resellers, but they are not responsible and just don't care. Only Apple and you care. If something goes wrong, and you bought it from Apple, they will swap it for a new boxed item. Maybe everything will go okay from a reseller, but why risk it with all that money.

Buy your Macs from Apple. Get AppleCare from a reseller for a $200 discount. Get your software at discounts. Get accessories from resellers. Buy your Mac from Apple. There's my two cents. I only recommend what I do myself. I have bought five Macs so far. Great computers! Congrats on your decision to buy a MacBook Pro. They are amazing.

4. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Apple doesn't ship to my location. I have to wait for the store here where I live to get some, 4weeks, or order online.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get a shipment usually from MacMall?

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Apple doesn't ship to you but there's an Apple Store near you? I'm confused. Well do you have parents, a friend, coworker or business address where you can have it shipped? An Apple Store is out of MBPs for four weeks? Or is that a reseller too?

Do a search here on MacRumors.com, last week there was a MBP photo here that was damaged in plastic from a reseller. A lot of people have posted many bad experiences with Apple Resellers. I think you should seriously do some research here to see some of the horror sales. If I were you, I would figure a way to buy from Apple.

Best wishes with your new MBP wherever you buy it. I really hope you get a perfect Mac. At these prices, we all deserve a flawless Mac.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. MrMaxy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy at MacMall. I bought my MBP there and I saved the taxes and the shipping.
    I also bought a time capsule which unfortunately had a bad HDD after one month. I called Apple support and they replaced it instantly.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I bought mine from MacMall in November of '07 and had it in 5 days, free shipping. No problems.

9. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

There was a time I swore by MacConnection, but they got bought out or something several years back. The MacConnection that exists now is not the MacConnection of days past. I miss MacWarehouse too.

MacMall has remained an independent venture since the old days yet I think (well a division of PC Mall). I suspect you'll be fine purchasing from them. My gut tells me to stay away from the rebadged whatever MacConnection is these days.

10. Lexicon macrumors newbie

Aren't they all covered by the same 1-year warranty, regardless of where purchased from?

What is the advantage of buying directly from Apple?

11. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

I work in another country. I have a AP address but Apple will not ship here. The store where I work is a reseller but they are out for about 3 to 4 weeks.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

AHA! I had wondered what happened to them! They did use to be quite good. I suppose that is "progress"?