Buying MBP in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by missjets., May 19, 2008.

1. missjets. macrumors newbie

Im heading over to Hong Kong soon and am hopeing to get a Macbook Pro whilst im over there for cheaper than i can get it else where.
    Just wondering if anyone knows were i can get one?
    cheers.

2. missjets. thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah ive allready checked all these out,
    just wondering though if anyone knows anywhere that is cheaper then the apple prices?
    as well as any buying tips or tricks for when i get there?
    cheers.:)

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

"Cheaper than"

You won't find it anywhere cheaper than Apple prices unfortunately. Everywhere i went (except the airport where I think they were more expensive) the prices were all the same.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Apple's Authorized Resellers will quote you Apple's official price when you ask casually. Apparently there is a rule from Apple saying that they cannot sell below the official price.

However, most places will give around 2% off when you pay for your purchase in cash. On the other hand, paying by credit card will tack on 2% to 3% to the price for processing fees.

5. chrgsn macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if could get the student discount at any Apple Retail Store in HK by using my HK student-card?

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

did you also go to non-apple licensed resellers?

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I thought all resellers had to be apple licensed. I went to a few stores which were mainly for standard PC's but had Mac's if that's what you mean.

8. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

Dude. U made the right choice.

I'm heading to HK soon after the new release of MB. :apple:

9. automatic macrumors newbie

You might have more success in trying to get accessories on top of the deal instead of money off, I was offered a neoprene sleeve for my MBP when I bought it in HK, but managed to get that up to wireless mighty mouse with some persuasion.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I wouldn't. Buy it from Amazon and get a rebate and no sales tax.

11. automatic macrumors newbie

Amazon.com doesn't ship apple products outside of the US, so for the majority of us this isn't an option.

12. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I've never checked on the prices of Apple laptops while in HK, but the iPods there are always more expensive than buying for the US. However, accessories, generic or Apple is usually cheaper though.

13. Thunderpuppy macrumors newbie

Apple Store Is Close Everywhere!!!

It's happening !

14. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

From my experience, Apple HK prices are the closest to US prices, for locations outside the US.

15. iamth3g macrumors newbie

missjets,
    i'll be in hong kong at the end on june, I know a couple of places that sells mbp for about 10% off the retail price. if you are familiar with hong kong, go to the computer marts particularly in the Wan Chai or Kowloon districts (Mong Kok...etc).

they have mbp, and always willing to bargin with you. bring cash though!

if you need any help. PM me, and I could tell you a couple of places i go to get apple products.

16. matthutch macrumors regular

I have personally purchased 3 Powerbooks, 3 MacBooks, 1 MacBook Pro a PowerMac G5 and a 23" Cinema Display in Hong Kong all for less than the "sticker" price.

There are quite a few bigger stores in and around Central/Causeway Bay that I have found good in the past. There is one on Stanley St (I think, might the next one up) in Central, and then there is the Designer Group in IFC as well as in Windsor House (Causeway Bay). There is also another one in Windsor House (PC & Mac Gallery from memory) which I have heard is good from friends but I have never got anything from them though. All of the stores will generally start out saying no discounts on hardware, but if they know you are serious and not just "kicking the tyres" they will usually knock something off the price, they will also generally throw extras in for free as well (cases etc), and give you much better prices on RAM and stuff like that.

Also something you need to keep in mind is the exchange rate, this will usually (depending on the country you're coming from) will result in a instant saving that is usually considerable.

Oh also keep in mind to shop around at the other stores as well, if the sales people know you are looking elsewhere they will work harder to keep our sale as they work on commission.

Good luck and enjoy your time in HK... oh how I wish I was back there, time for a holiday I think ;)

EDIT:

Good point iamth3g! If you pay cash they will pretty much always do you a better price, even at the IFC Designer Group store.