Buying mbp in NYC and claiming tax back

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Makwak, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Makwak macrumors member

My sister is going to NYC and I made her get me rmbp there. Sadly for my wallet the price shown on apple.com excl. tax. Can this tax be claimed somehow or would apple store in NY give some kind of rebate etc.?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Not if it is purchased there. Order it online from B&H. No tax if out of state and free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?&ci=13223&N=4110474291

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why would you expect special tax treatment from a retail outlet just because you don't live there?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Apple can't quote the taxes on their site as they vary from place to place. Actually, they DO quote the taxes, if you start placing the order and select your ship to or store pickup locations.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Probably because in Europe you can get a special receipt in most stores that enable you to claim the Tax at the airport on the way out if travelling to a non EU country. The system is well organised and I guess he is enquiring if the same system exist in the US and frankly the answer is no.

6. Makwak thread starter macrumors member

I dont expect anything Im just asking a question.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I see. Ok

8. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

If you want to purchase without taxes, Order from a reseller not in NY. B&H Photo is located in NY, so they charge tax.

Check out MacMall.com (California) or PowerMax.com (Oregon).. Both offer No Tax and Free Shipping.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to order online from out-of-state, but sadly New York requires online retailers to charge sale taxes on items shipped to NY. Fortunately there are a few retailers that don't.

After for tax "refund" we do not have a federal regulated VAT, so therefore there is no tax refunds.

10. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

She might be able to get away with claiming back the tax at the airport. The sales tax in NYC is 8.875% (4.5% New York state sales tax then an additional 4% plus a surcharge of 0.375% - http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/New-York-City-taxes.htm) so add on 8.875% tax on top of the price listed on apple.com/store However NYC is exempt. Also if you buy anything over £390 you are supposed to advise Customs and Revenues and pay tax on that in the UK.

The only thing I can think of is buying the computer at the departure gate in a duty free store.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I suspect a lot of people get around that by removing the notebook from its packaging and taking it as a carry on piece. Many people bring their notebooks with them. It's not really legal though, and you would still have to pay NY sales tax. I'm not sure what part you mean is exempt.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Residence really has no impact. You buy a product from NYC, you pay the tax. Likewise when I go on vacation in Florida, I have to pay the sales tax on items I purchase there, even though I do not live there.

13. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I think the reason that this person is asking is because we have signs in some shops that say something like 'TAX Free for Tourists' - and if you're outside the EU you can claim the tax back. I've been advised I could do the same when travelling to the US as I stay in PA or MD, or our last trip was down the east coast from PA through NJ, MD, VA, NC & SC, but I've never looked into it as I was told there was an office that you had to go to at the airport and fill out a form with your receipts. Whether or not its actually true or not is besides the point as it always sounded like far too much hassle.

Like I said, the only thing I can think of is to buy the machine at the Duty Free stores in the airport terminal on the way home.

pac

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The problem with this is those products are usually marked up by 50% or more so in the long run it's cheaper just to eat the tax. (The rent for vendors is very high in these prime locations).

15. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I wonder if the best place for buying Apple stuff for foreigners is Europe. You can get a tax refund (via tax refund or global refund) at the airport and, at least in Brazil, it's allowed carrying one laptop, one digital camera and one smartphone, since they're considered personal stuff and free of taxes in the local customs side.