Buying MBP In-Store Upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThunderApple, May 28, 2012.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. With the new MBP coming out soon I plan on buying it as my first MBP ever. However, much like the current MBP, if you buy it online you can choose to upgrade certain aspects of it. Such as the screen (Anti-glare) or the HDD and etc. I was wondering if there's a way to do this in-store?

I'm going to be using a credit card but my max balance is about 3k. I also plan on buying a iPad 3 so I won't be able to use a credit card. However, I don't want to pay tax twice by buying on item in-store and the other online.

Is there anyway I can order the MBP with some upgrades like an Anti-Glare screen buy pay in store?

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Upgrade the HDD/SSD and RAM yourself. It's much cheaper and easier to do than you think. There are videos available online via YouTube and iFixit that provide step by step instructions. Never done a BTO so not sure what payment options would be available.

3. Xystence macrumors regular

It is rumored that the next line of MBP's could have more MacBook Air like SSD's in them, will this cause an issue buying my own SSD separately later if I purchased one? I intend on doing this, just do not know what effect it will have if the drive type changes due to a possible redesign.

Any thoughts?

4. Swi7ch macrumors newbie

If you want the anti-glare, CPU upgrade, higher resolution, just order it with your MacBook because those kind of things can't be changed. Apple doesn't do in-store upgrades from what I am aware, and if they do, they'll charge a lot for it.

But like the guy above said, replacing the HDD with a SSD is easy as pie. RAM is even easier to replace. You can pretty much use any SSD drive as long as it is in 2.5" format, which is a great majority of SSD's. RAM you can get at Crucial.com.

Not to mention replacing either one is wayyyyy cheaper than if you had Apple did it, both for RAM and SSD, and just as good, if not better than Apple's product

5. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I do plan on doing internal upgrades myself but I really want that Anti-Glare screen for the upcoming MBP. Was just curious if there was a way of getting it without having to do it online.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I highly doubt that would happen but, if it did, you have to buy the MBA SSD.
    Normal 2.5in wont fit.
    You can get them from places like OWC on MBA SSDs.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

1a) It may _not_ be user upgradeable.

I wouldn't assume anything. Especially since Apple has steadily moved towards a sealed unit (so to speak) like the iPhone, and iPad. So, I would wait until they are released and we know.

2a) Anti-Glare is an option as I'm sure you're aware of. The _only_way you can get this is through Apple's online store.

I always order online, since I get anti-glare and hi-res display.

8. 7DSniper macrumors regular

You wouldn't pay tax twice, you only pay tax on the money you spend. Tax will be the same no matter where you purchase it, in store or online.

I believe BTO Machines are available only online.

9. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was about to post. Unless you buy on Amazon, in which case you won't be paying any tax for what you buy from Amazon. So you're saving money right there.

Basically, if you by two 500 dollar items in store for a total of 1000 dollars and tax is 10%, then you will be paying a total of $100 in taxes. If you buy a $500 item in store and buy a $500 item online, you will still be charged the same 10% tax for both of those items, leaving you paying the same $100 tax. That is, if you buy it all from the same state, which has the same tax rates, meaning the taxes will be the same.

10. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohhhh. Huh for some reason I didn't know that.

So let me know get this straight. If I buy the MBP online, and iPad in-store, I'm not paying more for tax compared to if I bought them together online correct?

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Nobody knows yet. If Apple starts soldering things to the board like they do with the MBA, then yeah it will cause an issue. If they keep the expandibility in place on the new models, then you'll be fine.

No way of really knowing how that is going to go right now.

----------

Right. Your local tax rate is the same percentage whether you buy online or in store.

12. Vctr macrumors regular

Tax has nothing to do with the amount of separate transactions. The tax is a percentage that is applied to whatever your order total is.

i.e. 8% tax on a $3,000 order is the same as 8% tax on separate $2,000 and $1,000 orders.

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

If you want the whole package, anti-glare, cpu upgrade, and high res, you can indeed get that one in most stores as they do carry maxed out models (minus HDD/RAM which you can easily do yourself)