Buying MBP now? (At 'end' of cycle?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sinsinx, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Sinsinx macrumors newbie

Hi, after viewing the MacRumors buyers guide, I see that the recommendation is to not buy a MBP until the new one is released. However, it seems that the next generation of MBP will not be arriving until June, and I need the computer for a class before that. How big of a difference is there in between generations? If it is only a minor processor upgrade and slight videocard change, I will probably not bother, but if it very major I might be able to hold out.

Also, I read something about the next generation being all retinas - If I do not want a retina MBP, should I not wait?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find a more appropriate forum.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I don't think Apple is going to go all retina on their notebook line until next year at the earliest. If the current generation MacBook Pro fits your needs, then go for it now. I am personally waiting to get a rMBP for the new Haswell processor because I can hold out, but if you can't, I'd just get one now.

3. Sinsinx thread starter macrumors newbie

What will be the estimated difference in power between the next one and current one? (this 'haswell' processor)

Edit:
    also, thankyou for the reply.

I looked up some tests on the Haswell, found here. It doesn't seem to be that much more powerful - but maybe I am missing something.

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I haven't looked too far into it yet, but I have heard that the integrated graphics will be improved and the power consumption will be mor efficient. I haven't heard of any significant bump in speed.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Haswell will come with more power integrated graphics which will boost the performance on the 13" MacBook Pro (and the 15", but the 15" will also have dedicated graphics, so it won't matter as much).

As with the next release, Haswell is slated for release late Summer, so around July/August. It would take some time for a refresh maybe right before Fall around August/September earliest for a new update.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Haswell seems to be focused on power efficiency (battery life) and improving significantly on integrated graphics, in addition to the general 10-15% overall performance increase. If you're not interested in any of these then you won't think it's a significant update.

You're also looking possibly at other improvements in the next MacBook along with Haswell, most notably 802.11 ac wireless and a better discrete graphics option (maybe, if Haswell's GT3 isn't sufficient enough for a dedicated graphics solution, that's Apple's call).

If you put this all together Haswell might be worth waiting for especially if you can wait for 3-6+ months.

EDIT: Sorry, I've already repeated much of what others said. Slow to the draw tonite :/

7. Sinsinx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers. I would be going with the 15" model, and therefor the integrated graphics improvement isn't a huge deal to me. I think I will purchase now, as I do not currently have a laptop and do need one pretty badly.

Power efficiency is something I would love to have, but the battery life of these computers is already pretty long, and I don't expect to be away from a charger for long, and never away from a charger for more than maybe 45 minutes if doing anything intense (gaming, watching 1080p video, etc).

Once again, thanks for all the answers and I appreciate you guys putting up with my newbiness. ;)

8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

No problem. Have fun with your new computer! :)