Buying MBP on a business trip. (USA)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RolandVet, May 23, 2011.

1. RolandVet, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

RolandVet macrumors member

I'm soon going to visit the states and I was considering buying a MBP there seen as the price difference is huge compared to European prices: ($1200~€850 << €1150). I was just wondering if their were any cons to buying the MBP in America. Can you guys name any?

Furthermore, the risk of asking taxes back at US customs is that I should declare the laptop on the way back at local customs forcing me to pay local taxes. Smuggling the laptop in isn't too much of a problem but I want to be able to keep the case. If I don't declare the taxes in the US, do I still have to pay my local taxes at declaration?

Finally, I own a company (v. small) and thus don't need to pay taxes when purchasing the laptop locally. Does this give me an advantage when purchasing the MBP in America?

Thanks in advanced.

2. mac00l macrumors 6502

I don't understand if it is a question or a statement, but you surely can, just make sure to buy it in an apple store so you won't have any kind of issue with the global coverage.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Make sure you factor in sales tax. I think when I was in NYC it was something like an extra 9%. I was able to get VAT back on the model I bought in EU so the EU price was better for me. If it is cheaper for u , go for it

4. mac00l macrumors 6502

You can always have taxes back in the US if you have a foreign passport and your entry permit. In some places you can get up to 80% of taxes back in a 5 min process.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I thought that was offered only by some big stores. I was not aware of a refund scheme at an airport etc. Last time I asked in the Apple store they said no, that was NYC

6. mac00l macrumors 6502

I bought mine at La Cantera Apple store in San Antonio, and I got my taxes back. The speed of the process depends on state laws, but as far as I know it is possible to be done nationwide.

7. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

I'm terribly sorry, my original post was much longer, something must have gone wrong.
    I'll edit the op and repost it here:

I'm soon going to visit the states and I was considering buying a MBP there seen as the price difference is huge compared to European prices:($1200~€850 << €1150). I was just wondering if their were any cons to buying the MBP in America. Can you guys name any?

Furthermore, the risk of asking taxes back at US customs is that I should declare the laptop on the way back at local customs forcing me to pay local taxes. Smuggling the laptop in isn't too much of a problem but I want to be able to keep the case. If I don't declare the taxes in the US, do I still have to pay my local taxes at declaration?

Finally, I own a company (v. small) and thus don't need to pay taxes when purchasing the laptop locally. Does this give me an advantage when purchasing the MBP in America?

Thanks in advanced.

8. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reactions guys.

I was planning on doing so, please review the 'new' OP.

In the store? I thought you had to declare products at customs to get you money back.
    I thought it was only offered at (international) airports/customs.

Good to know, thanks!

9. mac00l macrumors 6502

The 1150 euros price tag includes taxes?? How much taxes?? If the difference is less than 100 euros then my advice is to get it back in your country, you can save way more than 100 euros by buying smaller stuff.

And finally, taking the MBP trough your local customs depend on national policy, I know that I can bring a laptop back to my country tax-free if I can prove that it is for personal use only (process which only consist of opening the case).

10. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

It's a €80 price difference with tax deducted on the local side. I didn't deduct the US taxes. This is a large enough difference for me to pull the trigger.

How can I find out what the local policy is? (Live in the Netherlands)

EDIT:

Do taxes in USA get added on top of the original price? So the $1200 is excluding taxes?

11. mac00l macrumors 6502

Not in the store, through a tax-refund agency. But digging further it seems that it is determined state by state. I know Texas and Louisiana give you refunds

12. mac00l macrumors 6502

I dunno of the Netherlands, but in my country in the Customs webpage, it have a very straight forward text which explicit tells you what you can bring tax free.

EDIT: Yes, in the US taxes are added to the posted prices, and greatly vary state by state.

13. bmacir macrumors 6502

Yes, the price is before tax. The taxes differ from state to state, but they are certainly much less than in Europe.

As for the smuggling, there is no need, just be sure not to carry the laptop in the case, and to switch it on and personalize it before getting to the airport (ie if customs asks you to switch it on it's not cool to see the welcome screen).

14. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

15. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

Wait a moment:
    Goods on which no tax has to be paid (I receive a tax exemption)
    Personal baggage shall be all consumer and consumption goods not of a commercial nature that the traveller may declare at customs. These are goods intended for the personal use of the traveller or of members of his/her family, or intended to be presented as a gift. They shall not be of a commercial nature.

So if its customized I shouldn't need to pay taxes. Great!

Now if I say I want to give it as a gift, I can keep the box can't I?

16. mac00l macrumors 6502

The box, whatever hints that you bought it aboard.

And well, there's always the possibility to get away through customs with the correct words. Most times they only search for drugs, money smuggling, and stuff obviously for commercialization. But reading a little bit in NL Customs webpages, it states that "other" stuff only pays 2.5% tax. I dunno if a laptop falls under the "other stuff" category. If so, then it seems its around 200 euro cheaper for you to get the MBP in the states, even if paying full taxes (in the US and in your country) 2.5% NL taxes + ~7.5% state taxes. If you have an iOS device, then there is a little nice app in the appstore called "World Tax Calculator" that tells you the exact tax rate in every state in the US.

Just remember that by paying taxes you are helping your own country.

17. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a million. Don't have anymore questions!

I'll add a question if something comes up.:rolleyes:

18. bmacir macrumors 6502

quoting from your link:
    plus, if you buy in Europe you can recover the taxes, right?

and yes I meant box, not case

19. bmacir macrumors 6502

cool app, thanks for sharing

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Does it include local jurisdictions as well? Some cities /counties add their own tax as well to the state sales tax.

21. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

I was referring to the personal goods area. As long as the laptop is mine, or a gift, it shouldn't be a problem should it?

I can recover the taxes if bought in the Netherlands, not sure about the rest of Europe.

But I'm back here 'cause I've got a question:
    How would I handle reparations? There aren't any Apple Shops in the Netherlands, would I have to mail it to them through this site? Or do premium retailers also handle this?

22. mac00l macrumors 6502

Some premium retailers do have repair shops, not all of them tho, but you sure can get it repaired in Netherlands, you can use this site to find the closest service center to your home. (just be sure to select find service in what you want option)