Buying MBP through ADC.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Has anyone used the Apple Developer Connection to purchase their laptop? And if you have how much of a discount did you get? I tried looking up the numbers on the ADC Store page but it seems to be down at the moments.

I am trying to figure out if its worth it for me to purchase the $99 student membership to save X amount or if I should just use my regular student discount and purchase at the Apple Store.

Any ideas?

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

oh my gosh. it is very worth it. the discount is roughly 15-20%

However, you are still charged tax (if you are normally charged tax) so the discount is more 10-15%. The more expensive the model is, the bigger discount you'll get.

it is a nice way to go if you want a custom machine.

but for the most part, you can find discounts that are pretty comparable on ebay, nowadays. (and i'm not talking about the frauds that occur)

the best bet is to search for auctions that have NEWLY listed. or to try when most bidders are not at their computers, like during tomorrow's Super Bowl.

don't forget, you also get a copy of the latest OS as part of your paid membership. However, note that you can only get 1 ADC equipment discount. Even if you renew your yearly membership, you only get the discount ONCE.

so choose wisely.

3. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

I was finally able to get the website working and for the mbp it self it's worth it but everything else is more money then my standard education discount. And if I add on the $100 membership the laptop comes out to over $350 more. I did notice that all the upgrades were cheaper though. But since I'm not putting anything custom in it I guess it doesn't matter.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was in the same boat, and ended up buying through my campus store paying $1199 for a MBP 2.5GHz 250GB, with printer and AppleCare for a total of $1543 OTD. Didn't really need the unibody at this time...

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

and if you're going to get a display with your MBP, buy the display through the educational store, some are a few dollars cheaper that way (like $10).

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Not true. Only applies to student membership.

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

correct, but the OP specifically mentioned buying the $99 student plan. the other adc plans are so expensive that getting it for the equipment discount is not worth it

8. wahgnube macrumors member

wahgnube

I bought my first MBP using the ADC program. It was well worth it.

I bought a $2500 MBP and received 20% off ($500). This saved me over a couple hundred dollars than going with just the student discount.

2500 - 500 + 99 (for joining ADC) = 2099 < 2300 = 2500 - 200 (student discount)

9. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

the mbp is $2150 acd is $899 applecare is $399 iWork is $49 and mobile me is $69. Total is $3566. That's through adc plus the $99 so total is $3665

With edu. It's $2299 for mbp $799 for adc. $239 for apple care. $41 for I work and $69 for MobileMe. For a total of $3447.

So I would save $218 more by going through the education discount.

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

so the big price difference is applecare. don't you have to pay sales tax? (unless you live in oregon)

can you buy applecare separately for that price?
    If you have to pay tax, then i still think that other web retailers are cheaper.

Also, don't rule out ebay. i was burned on the $1500 MBP fiasco, but i expected it to be a scam, but there was essentially little/no risk to me, so i took a chance. I've had some great non-scam deals on ebay

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or you could buy the computer with ADC discount and the software with your educational discount. Also the display is covered by ADC I believe since it's hardware.

12. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked at the numbers some more and for me I think it is cheaper just buying it from the apple store using my education discount. So I don't have to wait for shipping and what not.

If I was just buying the mbp then going through adc would be a little cheaper.

Thanks for the help guys.

13. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently I was wrong about the pricing before :eek:, Apparently I didn't realize it was the Canadian ADC Apple store and I confirmed with Customer Service that it is different prices here in the US. She couldn't confirm the prices but she said she did note that the US ADC Apple store is down right now.

Gotta wait to see what the prices are now when the site comes back up online. :)