Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxelre

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
Hi guys,
So finally buying my MBP tomorrow. I couldn't wait for the next update I need a computer now mine is dead and I'm moving for university this weekend. I was wondering if you guys bought any accessories when you purchased your MBP. I was thinking about at least a carrying bag(backpack) and maybe a mouse for now. As for the Programs I'm not sure if I wanna buy Office Mac right away, I will have a look at iWork though. Finally any other advice, things I should think of buying and programs I should definitely install on my MBP?

Thanks guys!

Max

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
i got a laptop sleeve. im holding out on the backpack until college actually starts and i see the books that im supposed to carry around. i have office for mac, photoshop, the basics that i had on my old computer. if you dont want to pay for office, just use google documents, its pretty awesome, free, and you dont need to install anything, it runs in your browser. other than that i would reccommend a mouse if you do gaming or need precision aiming, otherwise you can do just fine with the trackpad

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Another free Office alternative is NeoOffice

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Check with your school if you decide to go with Office. They usually get a huge discount for their students.

When I got my MBP, I got a sleeve at first but decided to go with just a backpack. I also use a mouse most of the time while traveling and a tablet at home (Graphic Design major).

I would look into an external drive at least the same size as your internal drive for Time Machine backups and storing large/unused files (partition the drive).

Of course there are a bunch of freeware/shareware apps like Adium (IM Client), Firefox (or other secondary browser), etc. that are useful but should be tried out by you to see if they are what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.